Bill Cunningham

.020 Over
Hendersonville NC home of the Tail of the Dragon
Ride
2012 Rocket Roadster
Hello my name is Bill Cunningham a new member I would like to purchase a R3 or R3 touring, I live in Hendersonville NC. I have a 2006 Roadking that I will most likely trade in or sell but will probably keep. I want more power, don't do much touring but I like the look of the touring model but I've read various levels of power reduction in the touring model. I would like to know if there are any years or models to avoid. Are the ABS brakes a must have? Can you buy extended brake lever and gear lever? I'm duck footed and have to really strain to turn my feet in to hit each lever, I saw a picture of the brake pedal setup on a 2006 classic that looked workable with floor board. Will they fit other models. Is the tour models less fun due to power reduction? Thanks for any advice Bill C

Welcome from Australia. I have an '05 model myself (no ABS but using EBC HH pads). Comes down to what you're comfortable with. I have ABS on my Triumph Street Triple but prefer the Rocket's braking

Nice to see you've discovered the darkside - many ex HD guys here.

You're going to get the surprise of your life on a Rocket then. They pull ridiculously hard, handle amazingly and are insanely fun.

You're gonna have a hard time wiping the grin off you dial - some say it quickly becomes permanent.

I looked at a 2008 R3 touring today looked like new 11000 miles asking 7500 will test ride friday, I hope the touring model has that power looks like it doesn't have a tachometer
R3 tourer.jpg

Get the VIN and go into your local Triumph dealer. Get them to run the number to ensure any recall work was done. There was a clutch recall on early models where an major mechanical update kit was installed. Not sure if this affected the '08 models.
WRT Tourer models - they are easily derestricted by retuning the ECU at basically no cost apart from a cable. Members here can provide suitable tunes depending on your exhaust/intake setup.

Nice looking bike BTW - No idea if that's a good price though. They seem hard to sell in the US so maybe there is some wiggle room?

Yes - using TuneECU free software (tuneecu.com) plus the correct OBD2 / USB cable (Lonelec brand is best and guaranteed to work). Cable plug is under the seat.
Forum member HansO is the God of preset and custom tunes and I'm sure he'll be along shortly to comment. There are also tunes available on the interwebs.

Back