Motorcycle lingo

wjb

Nitrous
Ride
2008 Rocket III Touring
I recently picked up a 2006 Kawasaki Vulcan 750 so I joined a forum dedicated to that bike so I could learn more about it. Kawasaki made this bike for more than 20 years! I had no idea.
It turns out that the owners have a whole different language related to that bike.

The VN750 has air filter canisters, one on each side of the gas tank up front. Lots of owners remove them and the complicated air box that feed the carbs and use individual filters on each carburetor. This procedure has become known as performing the "Ear Shave".

Another common modification is to remove the bulbous exhaust cross-over that connects the two exhaust pipes. This is called "De-Goating". I guess they think the cross-over pipe resembles a goat bladder.

Then there's the air injection system for the exhaust. There are a couple of mods for that. The first is called "Marbling". That's where you remove the rubber hose from the reed valve on each head and insert a marble in them to block the flow of air into the exhaust, that reduces the backfiring. The second is to remove the reed valves at the heads and remove the hoses entirely, replacing them with a block off plate. That's called "Coastering". Why? Don't know.

The only one that makes sense to me in the Marbling. And maybe the DeGoating, not really sure what a goat bladder looks like.

Back