Lighting, Speakers, Triple Gauges, and Stebel Horn Location

Jimbeamrye

.060 Over
Ride
2007 Rocket 3 Classic
I know lots of you out there are like me, and want plenty of "extras" on your bike but might not know where to start. So I decided to snap off some photos of some of my projects I have worked on in the past year. I did all the work myself, and I suggest you do the same because it "feels" so much better to do it yourself even if it is not "perfect" than to have someone else do it perfectly...Just my Opinion!

Everyone I have heard who got that Stebel Nautilus Air Horn said they couldn't fit it where the old original POS horn was located, But I was DETERMINED to get it into that spot! I had to make some 1 and a half inch extentions for the plastic horn cover, and remove one little metal wire support rod behind the headlights, and I fit it in there! I covered the horn with a black vinyl bag and cut out the horn holes only. Ran the fresh air hose under the tank with a foam air filter attached. That is one LOUD cool sounding air horn. Sounds just like an Air horn should.

Too many bikers seem to be getting run over from behind while stopping at red lights around here, so I bought a bunch of red LEDs from JCWhitney, and started putting together some insurance against dumbass cagers that can't "see" the stock tail light. The ones on the saddle bags stay on as do the tag LEDs. But when I hit the brakes I have these twin 12" long red ones come on also, and they are super bright! Had my wife follow me on a bright sunny day and she said they are attention getters! You can't see it in the photos, but I have modulators that pulse all these lights when I hit the brakes. Have a modulator on the headlights also for daytime driving.

The speakers and stereo(not pictured) was the ALL TIME hardest and longest project of all! It took 2 months to finally aquire all the parts for assembly. I had to find all waterproof speakers, waterproof radio remote(pictured) and rust proof front speaker housings. Bought the stainless steel front speaker housings from Summit Racing (sold as 5" fog lights for trucks). bought the 5" poly planar speakers from local marina. Had to shave off a half an inch of the speaker diameter to fit into housings. Pyle Radio #PLCD18MRMP was bought on-line also(not sure where now) but it plays normal CD's and CD's that have mp3's burned onto them. Have 225 songs on 1 CD inside unit right now, plus it has a "weather band". It puts out something like 50x4 watts a channel, so it was perfect for these 4 speakers. Rear speakers are Sony, with HZ down into the 30's, so they have a nice punch to them. I can hear my stereo perfect at speeds below 60 mph.

The volt meter was very easy to install. Having to make a mount for it was the most time consuming.

The 205/55-16 tire is an Advan Yokohama ZR AA traction all weather tire, and it is almost as wide as the original. I chose this size so I'd lessen the effects of a too wide square tire causing probs cornering. It works great, but it still takes some time to get used to the different feel of cornering! BTW I took the wheel off the bike and took it to an automotive tire shop to mount the tire. You will never be able to do that yourself without a comercial tire mounting device! Best of luck if you do try it yourself!!!

Anyway I hope these pics give you "do it yourselfers" some great ideas to start with now.

FYI If you right click on a pic and "Save As" it, it will give you the pics decription. Just pick out the words, not the %,$ signs.

EDIT: One last thing, I have to give my wife the MOST credit for helping me complete most of these projects. She was out in the garage many hours helping with the wiring, soldering, and anything that required that "3rd" hand. After all, she was the one who said "We will be tight on money for awhile, but we can afford that Triumph, so lets get it"

1%20inch%20Homemade%20Extensions%20So%20Stebel%20Would%20Fit.jpg

Stebel%20In%20Old%20Horn%20Position.jpg

Stebel%20Side%20Shot.jpg

Stebel%20Well%20Hidden.jpg

Bright%20Light%20View%20at%20Stebel%20Horn.jpg

Rear%20Lighting%20Brake%20OFF.jpg

By%20By%20Hogs%20Rear%20Lights.jpg

Hog%20Killer.jpg

Rear%20Lighting%20Plus%20Brake%20ON.jpg

Rear%20Lights%20Brake%20ON.jpg

Clearer%20Rear%20Lighting%20Pic.jpg

Fog%20Lights%20Left.jpg

Fog%20Lights%20Right.jpg

Custom%20Triple%20Gauge%20rear%20view.jpg

Close-Up%20Triple%20Gauge%20Mount.jpg

Sweet%20Voltmeter%20Bright!.jpg

Triple%20Cluster%20Drivers%20View.jpg

Triple%20Cluster%20Wide%20Shot.jpg

Front%20Speakers%20Drivers%20View.jpg

Remote%20Control%20For%20Audio%20System.jpg

Marine%20Rear%20Speakers%20by%20Sony.jpg

Rear%20Travel%20Bag%20With%20Dual%20Speakers.jpg

Wide%20Enough.jpg

Wow! Thanks for the post & pics. Very nice looking ride! It looks to be very user friendly, and I really like the horn set up. Good thinking!
And Hats Off to your wife!! She is a keeper if she is out there wrenching with you!. :D

Wow! Lots of innovation going on here. Can you tell us more about the plastic thingies bolted to your front crash bar? Wind deflectors??

Building your own solutions is a real talent I admire. Good on Ya!

Vinny Boy

jimbeam--i swatted that **** bug 3 times before i realized it's yo avatar!! ------------------------ great job!!! that is customizing ya bike vs. a 30 minute rivco bolt-on!! -----is the vinyl horn cover nescessary or did you just use it just to cover horn for better look? why air filter under tank? nautilus sounds like a weatherproof unit. i'm interested in replacing mine is why i ask. great "cager" defense. (that and h.i.d. headlight!)-----if a sumbeech "rear-ends" yo ass --he better have a **** good lawyer and paid up umbrella insurance policy!! -------i can see why yo wife helped so much. she's got that low db stereo bass massaging her back and tha "purrin-torque" of that big motor under her--and you ta grab up front!! -----------------GREAT CUSTOM JOB!!!! --keep up tha good work! it's a shame that you and travelguy don't live in tha same neighborhood!! ya'll would make an innovative pair! -----the only thing different i'd suggest is a pic w/ tha headlights and horn emblem off--so we could see actual installation of horn. ----carry on!!!!!--john

john l. mckee said:
jimbeam--i swatted that **** bug 3 times before i realized it's yo avatar!! ------------------------ great job!!! that is customizing ya bike vs. a 30 minute rivco bolt-on!! -----is the vinyl horn cover nescessary or did you just use it just to cover horn for better look? why air filter under tank? nautilus sounds like a weatherproof unit. i'm interested in replacing mine is why i ask. great "cager" defense. (that and h.i.d. headlight!)-----if a sumbeech "rear-ends" yo ass --he better have a **** good lawyer and paid up umbrella insurance policy!! -------i can see why yo wife helped so much. she's got that low db stereo bass massaging her back and tha "purrin-torque" of that big motor under her--and you ta grab up front!! -----------------GREAT CUSTOM JOB!!!! --keep up tha good work! it's a shame that you and travelguy don't live in tha same neighborhood!! ya'll would make an innovative pair! -----the only thing different i'd suggest is a pic w/ tha headlights and horn emblem off--so we could see actual installation of horn. ----carry on!!!!!--john

Vinny Boy said:
Wow! Lots of innovation going on here. Can you tell us more about the plastic thingies bolted to your front crash bar? Wind deflectors??
Building your own solutions is a real talent I admire. Good on Ya!

Vinny Boy

Thanks everyone for the great feedback!
#1 Those clear plastic air deflectors were my first attempt to "guide" more fresh cool air over the red hot exhaust. My leg was roasting over that furnace, and by fabricating those lexan pieces, I pushed more air through that area. It helped, but didn't solve the issue. I ended up buying a roll of DEI exhaust wrap, and wrapped the headers all the way down to where the exhaust pipes connect, now that helped a bunch. I just seem to be really aggravated by the 100+ degree summer heat and traffic lights around here, so I had to do something.

#2 The Stebel horn was sealed except for the two output horns holes, and the fresh air intake. I don't think water entering into the horn output holes would do any damage, but the company makes it clear that the air intake must not suck in water or debris. The intake port on the stebel has a 5/16" nipple for you to attach a small hose to. Then you can run the hose to any typical dry, safe location. I ran my hose back with the clutch and throttle cables to a spot under the tank. For the filter, I just wrapped a small piece of foam air filter around the end.
I covered the horn with the black vinyl to hide it. So you guessed correctly! It was way to visible up under there, and I personally didn't prefer that. I knew if I covered it with something black, it would blend in with all the other dark black items under there. I never took the headlights off for this install, only the chrome horn grill. When you pull your grill off and stock horn, you will see this horizontal electrical wire support bar right behind the old horn. This bar will prevent you from getting the horn back far enough. It is about the diameter of a pencil and it is easily removed with a pair of vise grips and a few up and down manuvers. The new horn and the relay will now fit in this area with the 1" homemade extentions on the grill. Mounting this unit is tricky as there is no place to bolt it on, so I used military grade(UV) cable ties to secure it in place. I tested it for movement, and mine is very secure after using 6 of these ties in various locations around the stebel.

Best of luck! The stebel is the way to go IMO. The sound really "FITS" the R3 beast!

Back