Kickstand Engine cut off sensor

I had the same encounter with the engine shut off :shock: . You can start up with the side stand down but as soon as you engage 1st gear ( i'm assuming it applies to 2nd also) it kills the motor. Do I like it or not? Yes I like it, it keeps that stand from acting like a pole vault in a left hander

Another interesting feature....if the motor quits while in gear, you can pull in on the clutch, hit the starter button and it starts even though it's not in neutral.

Starting in gear with the sidestand up and clutch in is common to most modern bikes. Not starting with the bike in gear and the side stand down is a safety feature that I personally approve whole heartedly. The only downside is if you race in an event so rough the side stand might come down slightly from gravity, (imagine a Moto GP bike on the Daytona high banks or a Super motard coming back on the asphalt after a high jump). Not likely for most of us and very embarassing if you start a bike in gear and think it is neutral and it leaps forward, stand folds and bike goes down. The interlock is a simple switch bolted by the kickstand and easily knocked out of alignment requiring a little tweek.

Now I have a question. If the ECU is fooled into thinking it is in forth gear, why will my bike start in neutral with the kickstand down? (My guess is that the interlock uses the neutral indicator to sense neutral and it is not tampered with during the installation of the resistor.
Martin

I do like being able to kill the motor when parking the bike by just throwing the kickstand down.

I don't like having to pull in the clutch to start a bike already in neutral. What is the point of that?

Whenever I start any bike, I always pull in the clutch AND the front brake. Ever started a bike in 1st gear without the front brake and it's lurched forward? Could be very embarrassing, so I've always held in both as a precautionary measure. As far as the kickstand shut-off goes, I personally really like it - means I never walk away without putting the stand down . . . and I've seen this happen to others on a number of occasions, and usually in front of a ton of people - LMAO! Also, parking your bike in gear makes the most sense too

Back