It's Pearl Harbor remembrance day - NEVER Forget

My pop was a WWII vet. Lied about his age and served in the Navy in the Pacific. I used to ask him what he did during the war and all he told me was that "I cooked eggs." Mind you, he wasn't a cook...the navy just needed him as an egg cook and nothing more. Things were much more specialized back then I guess...I was just a young teenager when my pop passed so I never got a chance to question him more about this.

Fast forward to about three years ago and I was stationed at Misawa Air Base, Japan. My last base before retirement and is the only base on mainland Japan that the Air Force and Navy share. I had a fellow Triumph riding buddy (rare thing in the military overseas in Japan) who was Navy and worked in Intelligence. I got talking to Kyle one day about my pop during a coffee break on a ride we were on and told him how he was a highly specialized egg cooker. Kyle laughed and told me to get him my pop's social security number and he would find out for me. So I did and turned out my father was a Seabee. Not only was he in a very tight knit career field in the Navy but he was stationed in China and built airfields during the end of the war. Only one reason the Seabees were over there doing that. Kyle showed me his assignment orders and some other documents and proud tears came to my eyes.

The WWII vets were a different breed. They kicked a$$ and didn't ask for nothing in return. They came back home, used the new thing started up called the GI Bill and started over again. Grateful to have that chance to be able to start over. My pop was one of them and I am very proud of him to this day.

My pop was a WWII vet. Lied about his age and served in the Navy in the Pacific. I used to ask him what he did during the war and all he told me was that "I cooked eggs." Mind you, he wasn't a cook...the navy just needed him as an egg cook and nothing more. Things were much more specialized back then I guess...I was just a young teenager when my pop passed so I never got a chance to question him more about this.

Fast forward to about three years ago and I was stationed at Misawa Air Base, Japan. My last base before retirement and is the only base on mainland Japan that the Air Force and Navy share. I had a fellow Triumph riding buddy (rare thing in the military overseas in Japan) who was Navy and worked in Intelligence. I got talking to Kyle one day about my pop during a coffee break on a ride we were on and told him how he was a highly specialized egg cooker. Kyle laughed and told me to get him my pop's social security number and he would find out for me. So I did and turned out my father was a Seabee. Not only was he in a very tight knit career field in the Navy but he was stationed in China and built airfields during the end of the war. Only one reason the Seabees were over there doing that. Kyle showed me his assignment orders and some other documents and proud tears came to my eyes.

The WWII vets were a different breed. They kicked a$$ and didn't ask for nothing in return. They came back home, used the new thing started up called the GI Bill and started over again. Grateful to have that chance to be able to start over. My pop was one of them and I am very proud of him to this day.
Sir, REspect.

The WWII vets were a different breed.
imo - there are a couple of generations WW1- through to maybe Korea that were spectacular people. I think part of the reason Vietnam was so traumatic for many was that their expectations on life had altered.

The ww2 generation still had that tough "life without facilities" body that keeps them going strong way past what I believe I will be able to achieve.
And whilst I hear folk glow about war veterans - frankly in the areas of true war - I think the women were tougher.
It's also why 3rd world countries seem so resilient - they physically and mentally are.

Life today (here) is without doubt easier - but I am not altogether sure it is better. On the whole "people" sure as hell are not better.
Most are shallow and have the mind of sheep. But they want it that way.

USN ADR2 1976-1981 here...
These days I work in hospitals.
A couple years ago, I see in the hallway a gentleman in a wheel chair, a younger lady (his Daughter) motivating him around, looking for a particular place in the facility.
I ask ‘can I help you find something?’
Then noticing his ball cap designating him as a Pearl Harboe survivor. The conversation begins.
This guy was aboard the USS Arizona when attacked. An electricians mate. Survived that... then went on to serve as the Chief Bosun aboard the USS Yorktown when it was sunk at the Battle of Midway!

I was astounded... Saluted him properly, and let him know that he was a National Treasure.

Showed the Chief to where he was to be and ensured the staff knew who was in their midst.
They were former USN. He was taken care of.

I regret not having bought him lunch and listened to his stories....

Back