tim lett

Standard Bore
Ride
11 r3 trike
Hi guys, I’m on my second r3 . Just love the rockets too much to not have one. This one is a’05 with 42,000 miles on it. Can anyone point me in the right direction for why mine is sometimes stubborn to start when cold . Mine has the starter, grounding cable mods new fuel pressure regulator/pump/filter.

Welcome from Scotland. Cold starts:mad: my 08 ,62500 mls 7 year old battery no problem if I keep it on batt tender. My 09 11500 mls new battery, new solonoid plunger and contacts bastard to start even though it's on a on tender . There's been many posts on this an can't say anyone has found a definate cause . got noco booster and I use it any time it's under 10c just to be sure the Fu***r starts.

You might see if it has the stock ignition wiring. The 05's benefitted from the Eastern Beaver headlight relay that powers the lights from the battery. The optional low beam cut-out switch lets you bypass the headlight on startup. In cold weather the amp draw from the headlight before you mash the starter button can reduce the amps to the starter and ignition circuits because you have to hold a relay in to shut the headlights off (check your wiring schematic, you'll see the relay actuates when you mash the starter button, disconnecting the headlights from the circuit). Replace the battery and see if the cold weather start problems persist.

Back