GeordieBear

.020 Over
Ride
Triumph Rocket 111 (Roadster)
Hi all,

I have just joined this forum. I have been riding bikes on road since 2005. I have owned my Rocket 3 for two years now and have done about 10,000 miles so far. Its a Matt black 2012 Rocket roadster. I havnt done many mods to it yet apart from clear indicators and it having the TORS exhausts. I do plan to start doing some more serious modifications and custom work soon however as I got the Rocket for it to be more of a muscle bike. I am looking to chop down the rear fender and get some new David Platt Outlaw exhausts as well as some air filters. The Rocket is so far far too quiet for my liking and I want to unleash some of the power and grunt of its mighty engine.

Currently however I am having some starting issues which I believe is coming form the Datatool (factory fitted) alarm. Does anyone have any knowledge in this area about how to remove the alarm. Upon tracing the alarm wires it seems to plug into a connector block under the side panel but I cannot see anything else this connector would attach to.

I have never been a big fan of alarms on bikes as a with a previous bike it was nothing but hassle. This one has always seemed to have issues since I bought the bike with odd starting problems and it quickly draining batteries, although I usually keep it charged when it is resting in the garage. Currently the bike is not turning over. The electrics come on and the bike seems to go through its checks once the alarm button is pressed and the key is turned. On pressing the starter button however it seems to click and have a momentary attempt to start before cutting off and the bike resetting and the sound of the checks occuring again. The alarm icon on the dash also comes on at this point and can sometimes then stay on so it needs to be then reset, either by taking the key out and letting the alarm set and deactivate, or by flicking the kill switch. I would like to begin by removing the alarm although I am open to other suggestions to also try. The Motobatt battery seems fine and has been on charge and seems to have plenty of life after just being changed a few months ago after the alarm drained it over winter

Any help would be appreciated.

just so happens i have a set of tors and decat pipe for sale for your new toy if your interested.
good luck with the new bike.

Welcome @GeordieBear - although you list location as Glasgow, from your screen-name you're from Newcastle maybe? :D

Note that there was a recall notice on the alarms - not sure if yours fall into that affected group - details here - OEM Alarm Safety Recall

The Main Harness alarm connector is under the tank, about half-way back on the right side - there should be an extender harness from that connector, to a similar connector that plugs into the alarm module
It would be best to remove it at the main harness connector and remove the extender along with the alarm module.
You may find that there is a large heat-shrink sleeve over that connector set, so you may have to slice that off before you can decouple the connectors.

You then need a bypass connector to plug into the Main Harness side - that has two bypass loops that complete the interlock circuits - your bike will not run without these.
You can check with your Triumph dealer to see if they have one (if you can reach one of the mechanics directly, good chance they will have one removed from a bike)
If you can't get it, I can explain how to cannibalize your extender harness to make one (or source the connector and terminals to make new one)
I could make one for you, but the cost & time to get it to you makes it bit prohibitive since I'm in US

just so happens i have a set of tors and decat pipe for sale for your new toy if your interested.
good luck with the new bike.

Hi tails, thanks for the offer but as I said I already have the TORS exhausts which came fitted but I am planning on getting different exhausts with a bit more grunt ;). My other bike is a Z1000 which I fitted Remus cans to and chopped them so its loud. Compared to that the Triumph is just too quiet. Especially as my partner recently got a Harley Iron with some nice short Vance and Hines which are incredibly loud. Its all personal taste but I do like a loud exhaust.

DEcosse, thanks for the helpful reply, its much appreciated. Firstly, yes I am a geordie and originally from Newcastle. Ive lived in Scotland since 2005 however. I actually live in a town called Wishaw but Glasgow is the nearest city. Your reply is helpful so thanks for the advice. Yes I have removed the side panel and found the connector block but have researched and found out since that that lead is just an extension and the actual connector is under the tank I believe. Ive seen about the need for bridging the connections once it is removed and have taken a punt at ordering the T2500050 Shorting connector block here: T2500050 SHORTING PLUG Triumph Bikes | Triumph Motorcycles | Triumph Parts Number Seach | Triumph Parts | Triumph Clothing | Triumph Accessories but im not sure if this is the exact connection. Failing that some further advice would be helpful. I would prefer to get a separate connector rather than canabalising the alarm wiring... just in case.

No, that is not it - that one is for early generation systems (pre 97 bikes generally)

I believe the number you want is T2500396

Last edited:
If you are prepared to cannibalize your extender harness, cut wires off about 2-3" from connector and splice pin 1 to pin 2 and pin 3 to pin 5 (see image above)

No, that is not it - that one is for early generation systems (pre 97 bikes generally)
Oh **** it. Thanks for pointing that out though, it was a but of a gamble and was only £2.30 so no real loss.

Anyone any ideas which part number it may be for the shorting plug (for the alarm removal) for a 2012 Triumph Rocket 111 roaster?

Back