Hello from Singapore!

jonleong

Standard Bore
After a year of searching for my first big motorcycle I've finally decided on getting a Rocket 3. I fell in love with it instantly. It's a thing of beauty!
I don't know anyone in my country who owns a Rocket 3 so I just thought to say hi here.

My bike was manufactured in 2004 but first bought and owned in 2006. (I just got it last month and it only had 36500 kilometres on it). I'm a sentimental fella so I hope I'll be able to age with my rocket 3 and keep it running in tip top condition.

I've given it it's first wash and wax a couple of days ago and it's gleaming nicely now.

I have a couple of minor issues that have cropped up in the last week of my riding thoaough, that's worried me slightly...

1) Last night upon starting bike rev to 3000rpm twice last night but turning the ignition off and on again seemed to '''bring things back to normal". I don't know if it's an electronics problem, a throttle positioning system issue or the fault of a dirty crank angle sensor magnet (both of which I've read about on here). How can I see if my TPS has been replaced before?

2) The engine indicator lights up intermittently (it seems to happen when I'm low on fuel.) The previous owner put on some LED lights under the fuel tank and under the fenders. I didn't like 'em so I've removed the connections and lights from the battery but the switch that controlled them is still there. I plan to ask someone who knows about these things to remove the switch. I don't know if that's the issue. The weird thing is, when I filled it up with a full tank last night. All the indicators went back to normal.

The previous owner told me the bike had been serviced 2 months ago, with a new battery, engine oil and coolant change. I've actually brought the bike to the dealer to ask about this engine light indicator turning on (first time it happened (3 weeks ago, 2 days after buying the bike). I thought it might be something serious, they said they weren't sure what the problem is but reset something with the electronics with a laptop in the workshop but yesterday the engine light lit up again. :(

I'll look through the forum and see if there's anything I can try out without sending it into a mechanic. I'm not experienced with engines, wrenches, bolts and nuts (I'm a musician) but I'm looking to learn about these things and be able to look after my rocket on my own.
I have one question though, how often should the final drive oil be changed? I don't know when it was last changed and the tacometer shows 36500km now so I figure I should change it just to be safe. Thoughts?

Happy to be here!

Welcome from Downunder. We had someone else in Singapore join not too long ago - maybe he'll see this and contact you. If I can find his posts I'll send you the link.

I'll let others more familiar with the foibles of an earlier model Rocket offer some advice on the issues you're having; I'm sure you'll get things sorted out soon enough though.

Great to have another member from somewhere different. Maybe you'll be able to give us a snapshot (words and pictures) of what it's like riding a Rocket around Singapore.

Thanks!

Thanks for the welcome, mate. Yea! it'll be great to meet more riders from where I am. I'm not too worried about the issues I'm having... I'll just look at what's on the forum and see if they apply.

I'll put up pics and the like if people won't hate me for it... I know too many pictures can be a bore, (like on facebook). I'm working on a music video and I've decided to throw in some footage of the bike in it as well. I'll put it up here if you folks don't mind it.

:)

Cheers!!!

Last edited:
Hi Jonleong,

Welcome! I am from Singapore. Will send you my contact details and we can catch up. My bike is with the dealers with a broken detent spring...

Cool, a quick question about changing all the fluids on the bike though... engine coolant, final drive oil, brake fluids, engine oil

How often shoauold I change them all? The guy who sold me the bike told me he'd change everything (even the battery) but the final drive oil two months ago. But is there anyway to verify this by looking at the oil?

And how often should the final drive oil be replaced?

Welcome aboard. You should lok into TuneECU software (free) and get a cable to connect to the OBDII on the bike to do some of the diagnostics. :cool:

fluids...
oil, every 10,000 miles.
coolant, every couple of years.
rear, just top it off.
you probably should go by the honda dealer
(no, I'm NOT kidding)
and pick up some moly 60 grease
they use it on their wings.
anyway about every 10,000 miles pull the rear differential
and grease the splines....
That's what I do anyway, hope it helps.
skip

Welcome. I just signed on here as well. I was raised in Singapore and still consider it my home town having graduated from high school there. Hope you enjoy the rocket...I certainly am.

Hi Jonleong,

Welcome! I am from Singapore. Will send you my contact details and we can catch up. My bike is with the dealers with a broken detent spring...

Welcome to the site from Michigan. In what used to be the good ole' USA. Both you guys seem pretty fluent in English, is that a second language for you ?

Back