Hello from Salt Lake City

Furnace

Standard Bore
Hello All,

I just found this forum a couple days ago and have been reading the posts. Seems like a great group of people. Love the global flavor.

I am considering buying an R3R. I hope you all don't mind if I ask a few questions. If it is inappropriate for a non-owner to ask questions, please forgive me and ignore.

I currently ride a Yamaha Raider that I bought at the end of last summer. I'm having trouble making it comfortable for longer rides. I know the problem is me because many people rave about the comfort of the Raider. But I've tried two Corbin Dual-Tour seats (one standard and one custom measurements), a Corbin oval-back backrest, and a mod on the stock seat and still can't get the pain out of my tailbone and backside after a couple hours of riding. I feel like I'm trying to put a 10 gallon butt into a 5 gallon seat (I'm 6' 4" and 285 pounds). Do most of you find the R3 comfortable on long rides? Do your partners find the pillion comfortable? The most comfortable bike I've found so far has been the Harley Road King, but I just can't stand the lack of power.

I'm going to list out the other questions I have here. If I should break this in to separate posts just let me know. Or if there are just too many questions, please answer whatever you can and ignore the rest. I will greatly appreciate any input.

Is the R3 reliable? Nothing against you Brits, I spend about a week a month in England and love the place, but Triumph wasn't exactly known for making reliable cars. We have a dealer in Salt Lake but it's several hundred miles to another dealer. I don't want to be broken down in the middle of Nevada and not be able to find anyone to fix it. How does it compare to Harley's or metric bikes you've owned?

It doesn't appear that there is as much aftermarket support for the R3 as there is for the Raider. I suppose that's because it doesn't really need more power. Is there enough support to customize a bike?

How hard is it to switch out the handlebars for bars with more height and pullback?

I see that the guages appear to be mounted right to the risers or perhaps the triple-tree. Can aftermarket risers be used without screwing up the guages? That might be an easy way to get more height and pullback.

Is the chrome badge at the front of the fender removable without buying a new fender or destroying the looks? Personal preference but I like a smooth front fender.

What is a TOR? I've seen posts about an exhaust system but I can't find them as a manufacturer. Sorry if this is a stupid question.

I've seen some pics of R3's with three K&N filters underneath the bearclaw. Is that an easy mod? Where does one buy that kit?

Is the triple pretty smooth in highway riding? I like the air-cooled v-twin Raider motor but as much as it's balanced and rubber-mounted, it still vibrates pretty good at highway speeds. With the motor being part of the frame in the R3, is there a lot of vibration?

Are there any aftermarket (or even Triumph accessory) seats that are generally recommended for two-up riding? My Corbin Dual-Tours are too firm for our taste and we'd like a more plush touring seat.

Can the PC-V and Autotune I purchased for my Raider transfer over to the R3 or will I need to buy a new one?

Does anyone make aftermarket rear fenders for the R3?

Does anyone ever change the front wheel size? I can't find any aftermarket wheels. It seems like the R3 might look better with a larger front wheel. But I'm not sure if anyone even makes a compatible tire. Anyone tried this mod?

Can the dual headlights be swapped out for a single unit without too much hassle?

Any other factors any of you would consider before buying an R3?

Are there any other mods that most R3 owners make?

Thanks to any of you that will take the time to answer any of these questions. I will genuinely appreciate the feedback.

Ty

The Rocket III Touring may suit you since it is similar to a Road King, but a bunch more power. It's also better suited for hauling a passenger, similar to the Road King.
For reliability, I have an early 2005 (July 2004) Rocket III Standard with 65,500+ miles on it. The biggest issue with the bike I've had is the throttle position sensor, but I believe the last one I had put on is a new 'improved' version. Mechanically, the bike has been great. I've traveled from here near San Antonio up to Sturgis, across Wyoming, Arkansas, Oklahoma, Louisiana, etc.. and have never been stranded. I wouldn't hesitate right now to jump on it and go cross country some where.. ( I so wish I could! ).

Aftermarket - There is a better aftermarket for our bikes than you think. Not as much as some of the others, but try newr3.com and flipmeisters.com for a few ideas.

Handlebars - are standard 1" handlebars, so any other 1" bar will go on. Cables are pretty standard fare as well. For the Roadster, Rivco makes risers that are 1" taller and 2" back and use standard cables. The touring has more riser options since the gauges are on the tank.

Fender Badge - The badge on the front fender of the Roadster is screwed on from behind. I had to fill in holes when I had mine painted.

TORs - are Triumph's "Off-Road" accessory mufflers. They give you a little more sound, and a little more power. D&D, and several others make slip-on mufflers, Jardine makes a replacement exhaust system (seen on my bike in my profile pic). With Jardines and a Power Commander, I was just dyno'ed at 139 HP and 142 lbs/ft of torque.

K&N filters - The triple K&N filters are available as a kit from flipmeisters.com. The stock air box assembly is a pain to remove, but putting the K&N filters on is a piece of cake. You will need a PowerCommander or TuneBoy/TuneECU software to modify your fuel map as well, since you will be supplying the engine with more air. I have not done this mod yet, but it is good for another 15 HP or so, combined with a freer flowing exhaust.

Vibration - I've ridden the R3 everywhere and have not had a problem with vibration.

Seats - I settled on the seat from the Triumph Rocket III Classic for my seat. I don't have any experience with the new Roadster seat or the Touring seat though.

PC-V - I HIGHLY doubt it. I know the PC-III plugs into the Rocket's wiring harned between the ECU and fuel injectors. I doubt the connection is the same as the Raider's.

Rear Fenders - There are no aftermarket rear fenders, though many have cut their's down. I have often thought of getting a flip-up 240 size rear fender for a Harley Custom (similar to Softtail Standard rear fender) for my bike and modifying it to fit, but there are no ready-made options.

Wheels - The only aftermarket wheels I've seen are carbon fiber wheels from Blackstone Tek. They are incredibly expensive.

Headlights - There are several who have swapped to a single head light, but WHY? That's what makes the Rocket III! (Sorry Touring guys!) The Rocket III Touring already comes with a single head light.

Welcome to the forum. Go test ride both models. See which one suits your riding style. (Remember to take your checkbook, a yank on the fun grip will force you into putting money where your drool comes from).:cool:

Welcome to the site. You should ride one and see if you like the way it feels. Just about everything can be changed to make it "fit' you better.

Welcome from Sweden

Here's my opinion on some of your questions:
- I don't think Triumph is better or worse then any other brand in quality, even Toyota, BMW and Volvo have a few 100 000 recalls at the moment
- Things do happen on a Rocket, yes, but on those forums you get help at once, with everything from how to replace a bulb to how to assemble a super charger
- We must have saved a million bucks to the members over the years in DIY
- Rocket has more personality and power then anything else, still we want to add more of both from day one. I've done a lot of touring in Europe and NEVER met a standard Rocket
- You've been on the forum for a few days and read all the posts? Who are you, Rainman? :D Just kidding, Welcome!

Welcome to the forum!!:)
If you are as tough as i am, you will like it bone stock, most r3 guys do 1000,mile trips with no complains, had mine since 04 and still my primary ride, there is nothing like it!!:D

First off, Welcome to the forum.
Go take a test ride, no words can even prepare you once you do that,
you'll know if the Rocket is for you or not. (bet is is too)
You can change out ANYTHING to make it suit your needs or tastes.
Mine's been a work in progress since the day the warranty expired.;)
Now the Triclops isn't to every-bodies taste,
but then I didn't build it to suit them either.
I build it to suit ME, and it does.
Sounds like Tx. answered most of your questions already,
any more, just ask, we are at your service.
skip
in Oklahoma,
(God's country)

Hey thanks a bunch for the info guys. Especially you TX. I appreciate the detailed response. I didn't realize my post was as long as it was until after I posted it. Sorry about that.

All, I would love to test ride a Rocket, either an R or a T, but the dealer doesn't have either model. I'm still waiting to hear how long it would take them to get one if I bought the thing. Hence all the blind questions.

Mexican, I'm sure I'm not as tough as you but it's good to know one can rack up the miles on a stock Rocket.

And NickeHild, I wish I had read all the posts. I'm not that smart or capable.

I've looked at several of the photos you all have posted. That Rocket is a cool looking bike. I love the customization everyone has done. I've got to figure out a way to just sit on one and see if it fits me.

Thanks again all!

Back