Hello from Minnesota

carlsonp

.040 Over
Hello All:

I've enjoyed lurking for awhile, and you all have helped convince me to add another bike to the stable: the R3R.

As a bit of background, I looked into acquiring an R3R last spring. My initial considerations were the Storm, R3R, and a HD Vrod. I looked closely at the Triumphs, but my local dealers were less than encouraging about taking test rides. I test drove the VROD Night Rod Special and that was all she wrote: an incredible machine, sexy as hell, IMHO, and an awesome fit. One year later, however, and I'm back looking for something that will be better for weekending - it's really difficult to do that on the VROD without ruining the whole theme of the bike. Passenger on the VROD? Brutal.

So here I sit, a year later, ready to pull the trigger on an R3R. It's 14 Fahrenheit here now, so I'll just wait until it's warm enough to actually ride home before I make a deal. I'll get some bags, probably a windshield, and use it as the two-up and long-haul bike.

I'm working through the archives getting most of my questions answered. One answer I can't find on here, Triumph, or google, however, is information on model changes between 2012-2013. Any differences at all or are they the exact same? A local dealership has a 2012 Matte, which is the color I want, but I want to ensure the 2013's don't have any changes I'd want.

I can't wait to join you Captains on the road!

carlsonp.

Thanks for the welcome, everyone. I can't wait to officially join the club.

I live in Minneapolis, so Janesville isn't too far. It would be a great ride back along the Mississippi a bit west of there. I appreciate the word on that dealership.

Any other Minnesota or Wisconsin folks on the forum?

carlsonp

I know what you mean about the VRod. Reckon you'll be riding it less and less though, once you get the feel of al the torque of the Rocket and realise how much attention it gets everywhere. Not sure what if anything changed between 2012 and 2013 models except maybe colour choice. Haven't heard. Dealer should be able to tell you - but as some don't seem to know their arse from their elbow you can't be certain of that.

Welcome aboard, from Downunder.

Welcome:

There is absolutley no comparison between the VRod and the Rocket. And I'm not slamming the VRod. It has its purpose. Buts its a very narrow focus and very small. The Rocket will endear itself to you and you will appreciate just how good it is as the miles fly by. There isn't anything it can't do. It even leans well. And its over 800 lbs! Good luck.

Back