German Diesel Cruiser ?

Hondax

Nitrous
Body:West Central Missouri, Mind: Yes I are.
The quest for a low gas consuming but still powerful motorcycle has been eternal. With high gas prices, using diesel is a way to relieve the wallet. But diesel motorcycles have had their share of problems in the past. They're not as fast as their "normal" counter parts, they rely on powerful starter engines, and they do shake, rattle & roll more than a standard bike. In other words, you'll not get the comfort modern-day motorcycles offer.

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=105 align=left border=0><TBODY><TR><TD>

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>We've probably all seen and read about the Kawasaki KLR modified to run on diesel (as used by the US Marines). The British Army attempt with a Royal Enfield or the EcoRider. Well, here's the latest, and surprisingly good looking diesel cruiser motorcycle; the German built Neander.

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=325 align=left border=0><TBODY><TR><TD>

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>So, what's different ? First, and very important, the Neander is a Turbo Diesel engine !!

This means you should be able to get a very good top speed (220 kph/137 mph) and acceleration (0-60mph in 4 seconds) , while enjoying a massive torque (200 nm at 2600 rpm !!!!) ! Triumph Rocket III watch out !!

The twin engine is a 1400 cc engine producing 100 hp (at 4200 rpm). And remember, we're talking diesel here !

You get 150/80-17 tyres in the front and 240/40-18 in the back. Any larger and they'll need to widen the road....It's not a motorcycle that you can take under your arms, all these will cost you in weight; 310 Kgs to be exact.

The gas tank is not big, only 15 liters, but the diesel will run more fuel efficient, so you'll get a good mileage (4.5 liters / 100 kms).

No pricing, nor availability are published, but they do have a running prototype.

During the latter part of 2006, the Neander will be on a European tour, so, if you're in Europe, you'll be able to see it (a newsletter subscription is on their site which will tell you where).

Diesel engines are starting to become mainstream. I mean, if a diesel Audi car can win the 24 hours of Le Mans, what's to stop motorcycles from running diesel engines ?

Last edited:
Fueling Discussions?

Thanks but no, thanks. Friends of mine are contemplating trading their Jag in for Ferrari's, Maserati's or even Corvette's BECAUSE Jag parent co, Ford US, has added diesel engines to the Jag line. And Jag overall sales in Western Europe are declining, in spite of (am not saying: due to-) such a popular aberration.

What makes it an aberration, IMO, is that in virtually all European countries, diesel fuel, which obviously comes from exactly the same fossil oil, has historically been substantially detaxed compared to gas (patrol), this for the sake of supporting (one could say: indirectly subsidizing) the diesel-powered transportation industry, buses, trucks, off-road earthmoving and material handling vehicles, etc. but also cabs.

The irony is that because of that tax advantage granted for "economy" sake, such companies as Audi and Mercedes have diverted millions of dollars or Euro's from gas engine R&D and poured them into automotive diesel technology to make it about equal (variable speed turbos, aftercoolers, electronic sensors and captors galore, special exhaust catalysts with built-in filters for soot particles, etc.) in terms of overall efficiency.

Diesel engines suck and stink, I say. I read somewhere (Car & Driver?) that the State of California might ban them on all new passenger cars by 2010. Hope the Californians do reverse the current silliness:cool:

I can just see it now, rolling on the throttle and a huge billowing cloud of pitch black smoke comes rolling out of the pipes:eek: . I wonder what she sounds like:D

Any Banks upgrades available for that bike yet??? :D:bch:

I have a Cummins pickup and dream of owning a diesel bike one day assuming they don't cost an arm and a leg or shake me off of it :)

Pig9r said:
How about one that runs on bio-diesel?

From lurking around the Cummins diesel message board it seems any diesel engine can run on bio-diesel. What I hear is after the first tankful you should replace your fuel filter...sometimes even after the second tankful too. The bio-diesel cleans the motor up so much that lots of gunk gets trapped in the filter. I wish I lived near a bio-diesel station so I could run that fuel.

Diesels

Nice posts... However, the current diesel engines with common rail technology are a great leap forwards. no more smoking, large quantities of torque available and very low fuel consumption. So, a diesel bike would be a great development!
i.e. see for a very nice sportsbike, which also took part in the dutch Ducati Club races at the TT in Assen: http://thekneeslider.com/archives/2005/02/25/thunder-star-1200-diesel-by-star-twin/
http://www.vw3literlupoclub.com/1200_TDI_motorfiets.html
http://www.startwin.com/

This must be an awesome bike to ride! So, diesel sucks great!

I hope triumph will one day come out with a dieselized rocket... Imagine the torque that monster would deliver! Awesome!!!

KP

I hope triumph will one day come out with a dieselized rocket... Imagine the torque that monster would deliver! Awesome!!!

I don't know if diesel powered motorbikes will take hold but i do think we will see a few come into production. I'm surprised that Kawasaki beat BMW to the punch though.

If diesel fuel price doesn't match gasoline in the states, you can forget about robust sales. IMHO

Whats the point, are riders all of a sudden unhappy with the engine that is in the Rocket now? Are the current riders not happy with the 30 or 40 miles per gallon they now get and want something more economical? There are diesel converted bikes on the market now (ROYAL ENFIELD) why not just buy one and ride it? I have a couple of 400 horsepower V8 bikes, they are fun but they are just another bike with good points and bad points just like a diesel would be. No one will ever ride a diesel bike and proclaim that finally a bike has been made so that there is no need for any others because utopia has been reached. Whats the point?

Back