G'day from outback Western Australia

Bugger that, mate! You'd go through more drinking water than petrol pushing a bike in Coober Pedy!!

Cheers Stepnard, you joined up a few days before me and should be finding the warm welcomes as refreshing as I have.

It is not just cattle, sheep or roos around Cooper Pedy. I have driven the 4500 km from Darwin to Canberra and back about a dozen times and usually do it in 3-4 days just cruisin until I was back in the Territory with no speed limits. In Jan 2003 I was doing a dash to Canberra after my parent's house burnt down (with another 500) when the famous bushfire and fireballs got into the suburbs. I was about 50 Km out from Cooper Pedy at about 9.00 pm and a crazy white fella jumped out from the saltbush in the dark in front of my old 1986 BMW M535i. No vehicle, buildings or lights in sight. I nearly skittled him, drove on and rang Cooper Pedy police once in cell phone range. There are a lot of weirdo's in the outback.

I had recently (2001) had a crazed murderer do that to me near the Camel Farm 90k South of Alice Springs in the daylight while doing an afternoon dash to Ayers Rock for work. Turned out he had just slit the throat of a gay lover, stolen his car and was later caught near Marla, South Australia trying to board a bus after hitting a roo in the car later that night. That was when the hunt for the Peter Falconio murderer was on in the A/Spgs region as well. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peter_Falconio
He fitted the description, cap and all, I thought it was him and had a lengthy interview at the cop shop later on.

Turned out to be another psycho from the NSW South Coast now locked up in a mental institution. That was a crazy time in the NT with whole very superstitious Aboriginal communities deserted as they all made the 200 - 500km trips into A/Springs for safety. I had an office by myself overlooking the A/Springs Police HQ which was mobbed day and night by journalists from all over the world.

Maybe this isn't the smartest idea, but it is the most obvious; Why don't we all pool our monies to build a giant car and truck servo out there in the "dead zone"? No one will have to fret about having enough petrol or a good place to put up for the night and it seems that there's more than enough fresh meat to feed a small army out there, albeit it'll likely be roadkill.

The only flies in the ointment are the couple (4-6) million bucks to fund "The Oasis" and finding folks crazy enough to work there, although crazy folk in the NWT do not seem to be in short supply either.

I'll run the bar and grill for three months out of the year. What say ye?

Well, my first ride has been an adventure, of sorts. I got about 800km up the road, when the throttle cable snapped right at the nipple on the grip. I limped it into Meekatharra, and am stuck here waiting for the replacement part to arrive.

I've got to say though, it was the best time I've ever had on that road before it snapped

Sounds like a plan. The Whim Creek Pub ,roughly half way to Hedland from here , is in full swing again so it shouldn't be too hard getting a few together for a run through to Hedland. Off for lap of the Island last week of August , planning around 15000 kms over 5 weeks.

Couple of blokes did the run to PI from here a couple of years ago. They had the best time - still won't shut up about it every time we get talking about riding!

Well, my first ride has been an adventure, of sorts. I got about 800km up the road, when the throttle cable snapped right at the nipple on the grip. I limped it into Meekatharra, and am stuck here waiting for the replacement part to arrive.

I've got to say though, it was the best time I've ever had on that road before it snapped

Did you get carried away on the long straights wrenching that throttle past its stop looking for more? LOL

I'm a kitchen sink carrier by nature and will always have spare throttle and clutch cables on a bike trip with luggage, they take up bugger all space and usually can be easily stored permanently in a hidden spot even better than the spare fuel tanks discussed earlier. Old timers used to carry their spares laced alongside the operating ones. A simpler option is to carry emergency nipple kits like dirt bike riders often do.

Last edited:
Did you get carried away on the long straights wrenching that throttle past its stop looking for more? LOL

I'm a kitchen sink carrier by nature and will always have spare throttle and clutch cables on a bike trip with luggage, they take up bugger all space and usually can be easily stored permanently in a hidden spot even better than the spare fuel tanks discussed earlier. Old timers used to carry their spares laced alongside the operating ones. A simpler option is to carry emergency nipple kits like dirt bike riders often do.

Welll, I was grabbing a big handfull of throttle when it happened. I'm going to have to put together a spares kit. I just didn't expect something like this on a bike with only 2000km on the clock :/

Phil, You certainly did hit the nail on the head when you mentioned the word Flies and 4 to 6 Million mentioned in the same sentence. That is if you were talking about per square meter.

Phil, You certainly did hit the nail on the head when you mentioned the word Flies and 4 to 6 Million mentioned in the same sentence. That is if you were talking about per square meter.
a simple bush fly repellent cut the backside out of your pants ,keeps the flies of your food when you are eating

a simple bush fly repellent cut the backside out of your pants ,keeps the flies of your food when you are eating

But the problem with 4-6 million going to the same restaurant is many get turned away without reservations and look elsewhere or try the trendy progressive meal staying for entree only and moving to your dinner plate for main course and your eyes and mouth for a drink later before crawling up your nose for a lie down. Roll on humble dung beetles and abate this pestilence.

Back