Kevin is spot on. Putting a fuel source above a hot en
If I may add.... I will not sit on the bike while fueling. If something goes wrong you will have your ****** on fire quick. I keep gloves and helmet on. I carry a small extinguisher. It might save someone's life, perhaps even mine. **** happens... Stay alert.
I always get off the motorcycle when fueling. I couldn't use the auto fill if I wanted to. My 08 R3T takes fuel very slowly. It spills over very easy.
I like the idea of a small extinguisher on hand. Very good idea. Excellent posting.

A small fire extinguisher can't do much in such a situation, I haven't seen anyone saving anything with these things. Please prove me wrong.

A small fire extinguisher can't do much in such a situation, I haven't seen anyone saving anything with these things. Please prove me wrong.

Well... I think the idea of carrying the extinguisher came from watching a youtube of a police officer dousing flames enough to get a passenger out of a burning car. If you are in flames anything will help... ? I'v never been faced with having to intervene in a situation like that but if a fellow was on fire I hope several by-standers jump in to save a life.

Took auto mechanics course in my younger days & teacher explained to us that when filling up we were playing with a " LIVE molotov cocktail " & it stuck with me. Call me a wimp !

About 20 years ago my neighbour and I where heading away fishing and came across a SUV towing a horse float that had parked on the side of the road with flames dripping on to the road. Was being towed by a 18 year girl and her friend.

He stopped grabbed the small extinguisher ran across the road laid down and let it rip.

Put out the burning transmission in a few seconds. Got the horse float unhitch and towed to SUV about 40 yards off the main Road and someone else who had stopped offered to tow the horses to the event 2 hours away as they where going to go there any way.

Neighbour got a phone call late that night from the dad telling him that he had wreaked the transmission by towing it off the road. He tried to explain that the thing was on fire and the dad didn't want to know.

Some people, we should have just carried on and let the thing burn I'm sure the fire department would have put it out in about ½ an hour later.

Back