Fuelbot enhancement

DEcosse

If it's no Scottish it's CRAP!
Ride
Triumph Daytona (Custom)
For those of you with Fuelbot - or intending to get one - do you wear Polarized sunglasses?

It was source of frustration for me that with my sunglasses on, the FuelBot display was completely BLACK!
It's because the LCD Display is polarized itself and the one on top of the other cancels all the visible light.
I found that if I photographed this through my Sunglass lens, in normal orientation the screen was black, but if I rotated the lens 90 deg, it was perfect again
I discussed this with Dave and the actual display itself (not the lens on the enclosure) is polarized which didn't leave much to do there

I was almost resigned to getting some non-Polarized lenses - but then you lose the very advantage of the Polarization when viewing everything OTHER than the Fuelbot! :D

I did some internet searching on the subject and via this article came across this product

Decided to give it a go - here are the results:

Initial display, no filter shield and no sunglasses

709528520_20180809_135821_2009111_resized.jpg

Looking through the Polarized lens (the image actually flatters the reality - it is totally black to the eye when viewed through sunglasses worn normally)

-1131561914_20180809_135945_2269148_resized.jpg

Here is another pic I took before I ordered the filter material - it shows up the problem much more acutely

polarized_View.png

This is with the Dayvue applied through same sunglass lens

-1925940290_20180809_141708_2036789_resized.jpg

This is with Dayvue applied, view without glasses

738541539_20180809_141711_1859844_resized.jpg

Looking at it with sunglasses on, you can definitely see the display now vs black before, without the new filter.
It's not quite perfect for me, but I think that has more to do with my mono-vision and the focal length to the display (I have one eye corrected for distance (lasik) and the other not; So the digits are not as sharp as they might be, but they are legible now)

I took the film initially and tried it in different orientations to see which gave best transmission
(it's not ideal because the filter has two layers of peel-off pink plastic on either side so that by itself reduces the light)
But I could see that 45 deg was better than either of the 90 deg planes
So that is what I ended up cutting to size and applying

Interesting stuff!

p.s. you can see the effect yourself if you have two pairs of sunglasses - put one over the display normally and screen goes black; take a second pair and put that over screen at 90 deg; then look again through your glasses. The filter works the same way - it re-orientates the light by refraction that then makes it visible through your Polarized lenses

Last edited:
Polarized sun glasses are great most of the time. A while back was out on a job and a couple of us went to lunch in one of my guys truck. We stopped at a restaurant that had the menu on monitor type display. With my sun glasses on they were just black. Didn't have my regular glasses with me, they were in my truck a couple miles away, had to have menu read to me.

Last edited:

An interesting video about polarized lenses being stacked and how much light can pass through them. It will absolutely blow your mind.

Locality is an artifact of our daily experience. We cannot see or measure anything faster than light. But what does speed mean to a photon or electromagnetic wave? What can it measure itself against? Faster than light non-locality is not contradictory if in the quantum world there is no such thing as time.

We keep trying to force our local experience of the universe upon its entirety. Newton's clock still goes tick tock in modern physics.

Back