Front Rotor Freeplay Concern

Any air in system needs to be removed.
Air exspands when it gets hot replacing the fluid so failure or just a spongey brake.

Might be a silly question but I'll ask anyway. After you extrude the pistons, does this mean that I'll need to bleed the brakes to get rid of air in the lines?
Don't extrude them out all the way. Just enough to expose the area that hides behind the seals. About 3mm. No air should get in your lines. It is a good time to purge your old brake fluid and replace it with new fluid.

Don't extrude them out all the way. Just enough to expose the area that hides behind the seals. About 3mm. No air should get in your lines. It is a good time to purge your old brake fluid and replace it with new fluid.
I actually had my brake fluid replaced the other day which is why I don't want to risk air getting in there.

I actually had my brake fluid replaced the other day which is why I don't want to risk air getting in there.
No air should get in. If you are concerned just remove the pads and clean the exposed pistons well. It also give you the chance to check the locking pin. Make sure it is not frozen. Same with the caliper bolts. I also apply anti squeak grease to the back of the pads. I also apply some brake pressure to align the calipers to the disc before securing and torque.

No air should get in. If you are concerned just remove the pads and clean the exposed pistons well. It also give you the chance to check the locking pin. Make sure it is not frozen. Same with the caliper bolts. I also apply anti squeak grease to the back of the pads. I also apply some brake pressure to align the calipers to the disc before securing and torque.
Thanks mate. Just one more question. When you say "to expose the area that hides behind the seals. About 3mm". Is this done by applying some brake pressure and using the fluid to push the piston out or do you do it by hand/tool?

Thanks mate. Just one more question. When you say "to expose the area that hides behind the seals. About 3mm". Is this done by applying some brake pressure and using the fluid to push the piston out or do you do it by hand/tool?
Yes. Place one of the pads or a piece of wood or something in-between the pads so that you do not over extrude them. Push them in with your fingers. Exercise them through that excursion several times. Make sure they can move freely. I also put a little Brembo/red grease on the piston with a Qtip. Keeps moisture and dirt out and makes cleaning next time easier. The rear brake is even more sensitive to dirt and grime. I carry a spare caliper in long trips and a box with brake-fix stuff.

Yes. Place one of the pads or a piece of wood or something in-between the pads so that you do not over extrude them. Push them in with your fingers. Exercise them through that excursion several times. Make sure they can move freely. I also put a little Brembo/red grease on the piston with a Qtip. Keeps moisture and dirt out and makes cleaning next time easier. The rear brake is even more sensitive to dirt and grime. I carry a spare caliper in long trips and a box with brake-fix stuff.
Wow you carry an extra caliper? Have you ever had to use it? Thanks for the detailed instructions.
Is this the grease you use? Brembo G00075 B-Quiet Brake Grease Lubricant 75g

Wow you carry an extra caliper? Have you ever had to use it? Thanks for the detailed instructions.
Is this the grease you use? Brembo G00075 B-Quiet Brake Grease Lubricant 75g
That is for the back of the pad to avoid squeaking brakes. The grease is red, assembly grease. Any clear grease will work. It is just a tiny bit to lube the seal against the piston. Hardly any movement occurs there any way. Just want to isolate it from dirt, grime and rust.

Back