Front Brakes

JT

.020 Over
I just took the front brake pads out to check them. They are fine (about 4mm left to go). When I replaced them I retracted the caliper pistons (having cleaned them up), put the pads in and then pumped the brake lever to put the caliper pistons back in touch with the pads. The lever now has much less play in it.

I know this is an old issue with the brake lever getting gradually closer to the handlebar, but why does retracting the pistons and them pumping the lever make the adjustment right again? After all, there is no question of air in the system or any bleeding process going on, just moving the pistons one way and then the other. I have rebuilt car braking systems many times with no problems but I just don't understand the physics of what is going on here with the Rocket. Any ideas?

The brakes are fine but it bugs me that I can't figure out what is going on.

I have the same problem with women mate. They work fine, I just can't figure them out. :? :lol:

It is good to see that members are applying the full extent of their tech. knowledge on this forum :lol:

Women.....no problem! Just tell me about the brakes.

JT said:
It is good to see that members are applying the full extent of their tech. knowledge on this forum :lol:

Women.....no problem! Just tell me about the brakes.

I like women with no brakes. :wink: :lol:

Ever get the feelin your just not gunna get any sense out of us tonight John?

JT said:
OK..I give up. You on the beer again tonight Paul? :p

Nope. In honour of our 'Merican cousins I haz bin drinkin Long Island Iced Teas, so don't fkn start, alright. :wink: :lol: :lol:

Dammit. I use the search function for "woman and pumping" hoping to find something good, and I find this brake thread. WTF?

Anyway, it is possible that depressing the pistons carries an airbubble BACKWARDS up the line and into the reservoir, and then when you pump the brakes, the bubble is at the top of the reservoir and pure fluid goes into the lines.

It is also equally feasible that the Rocket Gods are appreciative of your enthusiasm and have blessed you with firmer brakes in return.

Back