Foot board master cylinder

dirtydr

.020 Over
Ride
2006 R3
I have been riding my new to me R3 and I just cannot get comfortable with the pegs so I am putting a set of foot boards on it. I have run foot boards with heel/toe shifters on other bikes including my old KZ1000P and I really love them. Found a breaker on ebay parting out a 2006 R3 and got a pretty good deal on the factory boards and now the only question I cannot figure out is are the brake master cylinders interchangeable? Parts will be her on Monday so I could just wait but where is the fun in that. I guess what I want to know is can I just remove the master cylinder on the bike now and bolt it on the foot board bracket, after removing the master cylinder on the foot board bracket of course, or do I have to use the master cylinder attached to the foot boards? If the master cylinders are the same then I do not have to bleed the rear brake and all of that.

resting.jpg

They should be the same but that's just my reasoning having never done it. I can't see why the rear master cylinder should be different between a pegged or floorboarded bike. Someone who's done it will comment soon enough though.

They are not the same. You will need a new master cylinder, new cover for cylinder, new brake line from master cylinder to brake switch. Also the bolts for brake pedal and shifter are different sizes on the floorboard rails. I found I needed to source a bunch of extra stuff when I did the swap

They are not the same. You will need a new master cylinder, new cover for cylinder, new brake line from master cylinder to brake switch. Also the bolts for brake pedal and shifter are different sizes on the floorboard rails. I found I needed to source a bunch of extra stuff when I did the swap
I just remembered you will also need the touring brake pedal spring and bolt, touring rear master cylinder and cover, shifter bolt, fabricate bracket for rear brake switch and new brake line for replacement master cylinder. If you did not get a shifter linkage with the heal toe shifter you will also need to get one of those as it’s a different length to the one for the roadster.

Thanks guys, I kind of figured all of that so I guess I got lucky since the breaker just unbolted the bracket and disconnected the brake line and shipped it all in one piece.

Attachments

• Floor Board R.jpg
    Floor Board R.jpg
    31 KB · Views: 14
Thanks guys, I kind of figured all of that so I guess I got lucky since the breaker just unbolted the bracket and disconnected the brake line and shipped it all in one piece.
Same with the left side so I am thinking I got a pretty good deal real reasonable.

Attachments

• Floor bBoard L.jpg
    Floor bBoard L.jpg
    31 KB · Views: 8
Since you have the early non abs model the switch over is easy the master cylinders are the same on both. The brake line is the only real difference. If put floor boards on all my Rockets.

A follow up. The changeover went without a hitch. As stated in the last post the only difference was the hard brake line and it is about an inch too short. The hard line on the bike originally has enough bends and twists that it was easy to carefully reshape it to get the extra inch without having to purchase the other brake line. In the parts fiche it shows the foot peg brake line with all of the bends and curves and the foot board brake line is fairly straight so I did not see any problem with adjusting the brake line to fit. Bled the brake and test rode and all is well in my R3 world again. To me the foot boards are a great improvement and I think they will pair well with the sidecar. Monday I will run down to Texas to drop off the R3 to get the sidecar installed.

Gratuitous pictures of a happy garage enclosed.
For the record, 06 Triumph Rocket III, 06 Ural Patrol, 99 Rokon Ranger, 03 R1150 GS Sport/CSC FII, 85 K100/EML, 1985 XS650 Heritage Special, 1976 KZ750 twin.
1 MUNI, 1 Trials unicycle and 1 street unicycle hanging from the ceiling.

Attachments

• G2.jpg
    G2.jpg
    205.6 KB · Views: 13
  • G3.jpg
    G3.jpg
    214.8 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:
Back