The mechanic at the dealership did not even seem interested in working on it...most likely a total loss, but this bike has a lot of sentimental value to me...Plus I trusted it...it never gave me any major problems or left me high and dry. I hate to see it become a heap of scrap metal. Already looking at replacements, but no similar packages seem available (2007 Classic tourer). Bike had under 40,000 miles on it. Any suggestions how to handle this? Would like to maximize my payout and still keep the bike (maybe gut it later and replace engine and all electrical) What options do I have?

If you're going to try and revive it get a new harness and all major electrical components. Replace all fluids even if it's going to sit until your able to get to it.

Seriously though folks, you may be fortunate and never have a problem with it, or you may be chasing problems for years - and then have to declare that it was flood damaged when you sell it, giving it a retail value of next to nothing.

Yes, please reread his real world post:

I had 2 in my trailer when I went in the water almost 2 years ago. They sat almost 3 hours before the tow truck came. I changed the oil 5 times in each before it wasn't turning milky anymore. Change rear end oil twice, and greased the splines. Haven't had any problems from the water.

Back