Not having heard what the newer 2500 cc engines sound like I'd almost say that was normal. Wish we would have heard this sooner because it isn't an exhaust leak for sure. Could be gear train, bearing noise or even cam chain whine but there definitely isn't any ticking or valve train lash noise. Maybe you should get a louder exhaust. :)

Did the dealer say it was OK?? If so, I'd ride it. What oil are you using?

Thanks for the reminder - video with sound when starting cold can be accessed here:

In addition to the normal engine sound when starting cold you should hear this high frequency sound like a slipping belt
Tried to identify its origin and it seems to be loudest at the left side and back end of the engine block / starting point of the cardan shaft (not sure if you hear this on the video)
Pulling the clutch doesn't make a change and the sound disappears after 3-5 minutes when engine is warm (whereby you hear it consistently until engine is warm)

Don't sound right to me, sounds like worn bearing or something. Wonder are Triumph still putting output bearings in backwards in transmissions. Maybe it quitens down once a bit if oil creeps in there when engine warms up.

Does the sound change in tandem with revs?
Does it change when you put it in gear (clutch lever pulled in and let out?

Would also be terrific if another member with a R3 post up a similar vid on a cold start to compare sound?

Bearing also is what I did suggest to the dealer and he said if it was a bearing the sound should get louder when warming up and not disappear.

The sound doesn't change when clutch lever pulled in and let out or switching gear - not sure from memory if it changes with revs - if so for sure not significantly - and will get back on this one once I had a chance to ride again (this whole week it is raining like hell here but they do forecast that it is getting better over the weekend)

Oil is Castrol 15W50 as suggested by Triumph and dealer said OK to ride unless sound does change or does not disappear any more after a few minutes once engine is warm. As he couldn't tell me what potentially could be the reason for the sound checking in with the experts here on the forum for thoughts.

Bike still is in extended warranty until 10/24 and next regular inspection and hence option to get this further explored by the dealer would be SEP / OCT (unless it changes before).

Hi there.
Did you manage to figure the reason / solve the issue that you had.

My 2020 R has just started the same behaviour as mentioned in the original post (between 2000 and 3000 rpm).
The ticking noise also appears when starting the cold engine and is disappearing when operating temperature is reached (except between the 2000 and 3000 rpm range).

Thanks and kind regards

thanks for the response.I have arranged with my local dealer here in Thailand to take the bike in on the
First of June.They will try to identify and put right any faults found.however,I have just bought a 2017
Honda Valkyrie with 35,000 kilometres on it. Valkyries are supposedly not imported into Thailand,so I feel
lucky to get this one.My thoughts now are along these lines.The rocket for showing off around town.
I.E. not too far from home,and the Honda for traveling further afield, because of the Honda's reliability.

Back