DRL/Handlebar Switchgear

ody2002

.060 Over
Ride
Triumph R3 GT & BMW R12S
I'm interested in having actual daytime running lights per the European models in that the headlights would be off while the DRL are on in lieu of the US-specced headlights always on. Looking at the parts fiche, it would appear that all I would need to do is swap out the left-hand switchgear cube. As there aren't separate, country-specific wiring leads to the switchgear, I'm assuming my bike is already wired to accept the lowbeam/high beam switch that's present on the Euro models and blanked off on the US models.

Does anyone have any insight as to whether that's an accurate assumption? Maybe someone who's done a handlebar swap? I can't tell off the parts fiche how the connections are made to the switchgear (ie. is it one connector for the whole cube?).

Electrickery is a Voodoo field, imo, on modern bikes.
Back in the day when you made a switch and contacts allowed current to flow, closing a relay that powered your high beam, life was simple.
Now, it seams, it's mostly ecu controlled.
Your wish may not be as simple as swapping switch blocks.
You may find that everything plugs and plays, but just as likely that the U.S.A. market ecu's are programmed for headlights on. Full stop.
I know that this doesn't help with your question, but something to consider before out laying hard earned on a switch block.

Back in the day when you made a switch and contacts allowed current to flow, closing a relay that powered your high beam, life was simple.
You may find that everything plugs and plays, but just as likely that the U.S.A. market ecu's are programmed for headlights on. Full stop.
I know that this doesn't help with your question, but something to consider before out laying hard earned on a switch block.
Thank you, I suspect you are right, but I was hopeful

Last edited:

This is correct. Changing the switch cube won't do it (I tried). It's controlled through the instrument cluster, which is a different model number for Euro-specced bikes than US-specced bikes. I suspect you need to change the instrument cluster and switch cube.

Back