For Sale Dobek-EFI-Controller-TRIUMPH-ROCKET-3-2005-2015

Curious, I haven't received an email suggesting I return mine. Should I call ?
I obviously wouldn't return it if it is installed and working efficiently. I would believe the later model R3s to be where the ECU changes were made. Just not sure which ones...and neither is Dobek, lol! If I knew when Dobek made the decision to stop production, we might be within a year of the culprit year model...maybe. I sure would like to have one. I am headed to Birmingham, AL this weekend to have a Dyno tuner that uses TuneECU help me work through AFR issues. He said he has tuned a few Triumphs and feels confident that he can get it leaned out on the fuel tables. Fingers crossed that it works out well. After RamAir, DP exhaust, and Hanso Tune, it is running quite rich. I didn't know how hard it would be to find a shop with TuneECU experience in my area. ;)

I guess we have to admit there are at least 3 ECU configurations. The Standard 2005 to 2009, 2008 forward Touring and 2010 forward Roadster. I'll have a chat with them to see what can be done.

Curious, I haven't received an email suggesting I return mine. Should I call ?
If it is working, I would keep it! I screwed up my ECU by starting the engine with the positive lead barely touching the battery post and the AFR4+ connected to the battery post. Engine cranked and when the battery cable lost contact ran like sh!t. Apparently the AFR will keep the engine running while the ECU overheats and burns up. Whereas if you run your engine and disconnect the ECU without an add on fuel control, the engine should shut down immediately. Anyway, I sent the unit back to Dobeck to have them check the AFR (to make sure it also didn't burn up- checked out fine) and after talking to their engineers, they would not send the unit back (gave full refund) as they were experiencing problems with certain Triumph models. Real good folks to work with, very honest and straight forward with answers to my questions. Just wish they would fix the compatibility problems with the AFR4+ so I can order another one.

Please let us know about your experience with the guy in Birmingham. I'm sure others would like to know about him.
Will do Joe. Funny thing is that my wife found this shop online and told me to call...or else! She is ready to ride and the weather is getting right. I have spoken with several shops that said "no" and left messages for numerous shops with no returned calls. Seems odd but we are dealing with a Triumph R3. Hope this one is a winner.

I wrote to Dobeck about this, and they responded with info on an ECU recall by Triumph for 2014/2015 models, to wit:

Triumph ECU recall 2014/2015

Been announced in a number of countries, though not yet in the US.

Dobeck said until this is sorted, they are not offering any more units for Triumph, though they understand most units still out there are functioning nominally for their users.

They also offered gratuitously that most reported problems are user error and only a few appear to be attributable to ECU incompatibility.

Last edited:
I called Dobeck on Tuesday and was told the exact same thing as Paul. Bummer. The EJK Gen 3 is still available. I have that device too. It works really good, but you just don't know your exact AFR like the AFR Plus.

Last edited:
Back