Do not over fill the tank

PekkaVu

.020 Over
Ride
Riding makes me happy
I think that cap is ventiled which means it is releasing gas out from tank. It's very important that you not over fill the tank. Because gasoline (liquid) is blocking gas canel of the cap. I almost burn my Rocket R3R when I over fill the tank. And I wonderin after short riding the noise which coming from the cap and open cap. A lot of fuel flew out of the tank over the hot exhaust manifold. I was lucky the fuel did not ignite.😮😮

Did you read the manual?

Attachments

• Screenshot 2022-01-31 070547.jpg
    Screenshot 2022-01-31 070547.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 165
There was a post about a year ago where someone left the gas filling while not paying attention. His Rocket 3 burned to the ground.

It's definitely best to not overfill the tank just for a few extra kilometers of travel.

I'm with Pekka. The tank design is less than ideal from this perspective. It's rare that I'm able to fill the tank without either some drops splashing out and onto the tank, or the final level being above the bottom of the neck as detailed in the manual picture. Then if you're living in a hot climate like me, and the bike sits in the sun on a hot day, the fuel further expands and if you don't have the cap completely tight, fuel can leak out the cap. God forbid the cap has loosened up a little bit and you have the nerve to pop open the metal cap cover... fuel will come GUSHING out.

Like the old story, the doctor said "I have good news and bad news...The good news is you have six left to live..." Doctor, if I have six left to live, what are the bad news?? (Doctor looking at the sweep hand of his watch:) "Five, four, three, two...."

I had one of the original 'Pierre Terrebanche' Ducati Multistradas, a 1100S That is the bad news. As fuel tanks go that is as bad as it gets. The Rocket has only doused me in fuel once, my own stupidity to get distracted at the wrong time. Fortunately I'm at a point of my life where fertility is not as big of a concern as the urge to shed all clothes to wash off fuel from very sensitive, er, parts.

Won't be happening again anytime soon. (I can't believe I'm admitting to THAT episode!)

Is it a dumb design? Well, here in California where we have these recovery shrouds over the filler spouts, the system works fine if you're an octopus. Two hands will barely do.

But I found THAT episode extremely motivating, it's amazing how adaptable and inventive you can be!

Back