robbierob

Standard Bore
Is anyone planning on going to Daytona Bike Week this year

I decided to take a break from Sturgis this year and was looking at Daytona

from Kansas City do you think it is possible to ride all the way down there at the first of March (weather wise that is)

Daytona is a big traffic jam . . . you might think of Leesburg instead. A month later in the same general area. The past couple of years Daytona has been trying to push everyone further out into the country. Iron horse/Pub 44 area isnt bad but in town has been a pain in the backside. At Leesburg they actually want the bikers there and the law is MUCH more friendly.

If you've never made it to Bike Week, it's worth going. It's become more congested and more commercial over the years, but it's still worth doing at least once.

I agree . . . you never been there . . . by all means go. I dont mean to rain on anyones parade, It's just that over the past couple of years the powers that be have been trying to get the majority of the folks out of the downtown area and more out to the country. Leesburg has turned into a really good rally over the past few years and since I've been to Daytona more times than I can count, my opinion is a bit skewed. Let me know if you decide to ride to either one . . I'm always up for a putt.

"The powers that be" know quite well how huge the population of bikers has grown over the past decade. It's unmanageable. They want your money coming into the State. So they're spreading the wealth out in all directions, except east.

The Strip, a decade ago, was so crowded that I turned my attention inland and northward.
Check out Iron Horse, and Cabbage Patch and Volusia Speedway Park and Little Tomoka Yatch Club and...I could go on and on. Invest in security devices; remember bolt cutters come in monster sizes, and a U-Haul truck will accommodate an engine hoist.

Invariably the lead-in weekend to Daytona Bike Week will bring thunderstorms to Daytona. Which means a wet cold front drove south from KC a day to two before. If you're in front of it you're going to get wet and if you're behind it you're in for a dank and windy ride. That's my empirical forecast. And, like George Hamilton, "I know toasted" :D

Weather forecasting doesn't belong with invariability; but, I'll wager a dollar to a dog nasty ;)

Last edited:
In Michigan we call it trailer week. Its the only way from here. I have been there when it great and more times that its a a half a million cold, wet, drunk collection of bikers. Daytona is fun one time. but like Her3tic, the outlying areas, Orlando HD, Cabage patch and Bruceville (the new 500,000 sq. ft. Datona HD) which includes resturants, Motel, and a BMW and Triumph shop are great. I never had any problems with the local ripoffs, but then we stayed with friends in Orlando. So the overnight parking was in a secure garage. There is nothing like 5 lanes of bike traffic each way in front of the speedway all trying to make more noise than the next. The light changes to green.....UNCHAINED MELODY:bch:

Back