FunkSoulBro

Supercharged
Ride
2006 Classic
R3owners,
Prior to the new arrival yesterday of my R3Classic, I noticed on a few bikes we looked at previously what appears to be corrosion on the plate where the top of the front forks insert.
20150701_181720.jpg
I have also noticed a small amount on my bike and describe it a white gluey substance that has solidified. Now keep your dirty minds clean as this is not overexcitement on my behalf. Is this normal and if so any suggestions on what it is and how to best remove it? Hopefully the picture shows it ok.

Aluminium does corrode quite readily if the protective treatment on it is breached, creating "white rust". Easy enough to polish off with the right product and some elbow grease.

The wheels are a much bigger problem in that regard, lots of people wind up powder coating theirs because they can't be arsed to keep up with the constant maintenance required to keep them looking pristine.

Aluminium does corrode quite readily if the protective treatment on it is breached, creating "white rust". Easy enough to polish off with the right product and some elbow grease.

The wheels are a much bigger problem in that regard, lots of people wind up powder coating theirs because they can't be arsed to keep up with the constant maintenance required to keep them looking pristine.

So if I polished it off, I imagine that it would be more susceptible to corrosion, given the polish would breach whatever coating is left.

It's under the lacquer. Same as on the wheels. Not much I've ever found you can do to get rid of it once it's there? If you do take off the lacquer you will be very susceptible to rust.

Not sure I used the right term for aluminium, if white rust is an actual thing with galvanized metals. Aluminium corrosion is also white though.

However, after you polish it off aluminium you can apply a wax to cover it, that should mean you don't have to repeat the treatment very often. I recall hearing somewhere that a natural wax, or maybe beeswax works well without dulling the shine.

Polishing up aluminium a few months apart should keep it nice and shiny. Worst case scenario if it's really bad would be to start with wet sanding it with a very fine paper to get the corrosion off and the surface smooth, then machine polish.

Enough elbow grease and you can make aluminium look pretty fantastic.

Last edited:
Back