Doc_T

.020 Over
I posted this up at the RAT site too...but I'm desperate. I've been to our dealer in Dallas, and the specs have been checked several times; everything always in perfect order as far as belt tension/alignment, etc. Is there any spray or SOMETHING I can do to eliminate this ridiculous squeak? Any sound advice is GREATLY appreciated! Cheers!

I don't know if it is good to use on a drive belt, but at an auto parts store you should be able to find belt dressing for the serpentine belt in a car. Several of my friends that were in the maintenance teams in the Air Force say honey works just as well also.

Again, I am not sure that these are safe for use on a motorcycle drive belt. But they will stop the squeak.

I imagine you could also stop by a Harley Davidson shop and ask them.

Rash

Use a cake of soap, just rub it dry onto the meshing area and allow it to run around the belt. It will stop the squeak until the rain washes it off....;)

Not sure about the honey idea, sorry mate but expect that would pick up unwanted debris and it would stick to the belt??

The only time the belt on my Softail squeeked was when it was adjusted up to tight. That could be your problem. You should run 5/8 to 3/4 inch deflection mid way between pulleys.

Thanks for the tips guys! I'll check the deflection per Bruce Aussie, and I'll try the bar of soap trick too! Thanks again for the tips. Cheers!

The old man just hit it with a shot of Mom's hair spray, light and not terribly tacky like honey might be. That was Pappy, saw him put coffee in the radiator of the 59 Galaxie long haulin across the desert Southwest once. It worked.

My harley's never squeaked but my Storm was a ***** to keep quiet, the RAT forum had some suggestions but as soon as mine got wet the squeel came back. look at hd and you'll notice every one of the bikes have the belt running along the outside edge of the rear pulley while triumph tries to center it.

This is a MAJOR issue for many with the Kaw V2K as well.
I never had a problem until after I installed a new belt.
After the normal adjustments and tension set at 8 - 10 lbs,
the best is a silicon dressing. Many use the belt dressing from HD.
A definite PIA, I agree!

Back