barnett clutch install?

REGULATOR

Turbocharged
Ride
2005 RIII
who has done it themselves, and who has paid for a dealer to do?

and how much, after re-reading R34me's posts I see there are some special tools involved...

I might have to make this a dealer project..which will probably cost me a fortune huh?

REGULATOR said:
who has done it themselves, and who has paid for a dealer to do?

and how much, after re-reading R34me's posts I see there are some special tools involved...

I might have to make this a dealer project..which will probably cost me a fortune huh?

Barnett clutch is basically stiffer springs and a different clutch pack, no special tools required for this job as you only have to remove the clutch head to do the job. You only need special tools if you want to strip the clutch basket then you need the teflon locking ring to allow the clutch basket nut to be released. Have a go it's not that hard. :wink:

Sure can DIY, just like R34ME said. Just make sure you got that big clutch cover gasket (for engine case) for when you put her back together. Remember to put plates in as like stock, not reverse order for the lockup install.

I'd also look closely at your lifter piece and shaft and if you have pre-2006 parts, the thrust bearing and washer too. Any wear on that stuff and they should be replaced as well. Look at my "clutch warning" thread for more details.

Also have fresh coolant on hand if you're not going to reuse your old stuff. I'd replace it with new myself.

If the darn'd radiator didn't have to come off to do the clutch, it would be a quick and easy job. As it is, it is kind of a pain. Have fun!

I replaced my clutch 2 months ago. It wasn't a bad job, but I would order a few seals to ensure you don't have any leaks when you are done.

Seal (o-ring) at the end of water pump shaft that is inside of motor. You will understand when you pull it out.

I replaced the water pump cover (chrome) while it was apart. If you do this order a new seal for it. The one that comes with the cover is rolled up and you will never make stay in the grove.

New gasket for the front of the motor. There may have been one more I forget.

Antifreeze can be any 50/50 mix without silicone. I used Prestone.

Lastly, I only added oil that came out during clutch replacement. I did change filter after some riding to test clutch.

If you have any questions ask away.

Mike

so far so good, have removed all the covers, radiator pumps etc, yanked out the old clutch plates ( in order carefully)

new barnett clutch should be here today, not to hard so far, all my seals look good, going to change the oil and filter anyway in case bad clutch stuff is swirling in the old oil...

I'll post up some pics of the plates that looked black and smoother

Back