Anyone successfully modded the exhaust?

RazMan

Rocket Addict
Ride
2022 R3 GT, 2011 America
The R3 is a superb design and streets ahead of the old R111 (sorry guys but I have had both) The ONLY thing that bugs me is the lack of growl from the exhaust (really miss the bark of the Dave Platt system on my R111) I LOVE the look of it and don't want to change the appearance at all - just the internals. I've read about Meerkat's mods over in Oz but there is very little information on how to do this so has anyone found a way to mod the standard exhaust in the UK?

Last edited:
The R3 is a superb design and streets ahead of the old R111 (sorry guys but I have had both) The ONLY thing that bugs me is the lack of growl from the exhaust (really miss the bark of the Dave Platt system on my R111) I LOVE the look of it and don't want to change the appearance at all - just the internals. I've read about Meerkat's mods over in Oz but there is very little information on how to do this so has anyone found a way to mod the standard exhaust in the UK?
Actually, I think they provided more than enough information to replicate that with your local Welder... here:

My 14 rocket ran better than my 2020 Rocket. I get nervous on longer trips with my 2020. I went 520 miles in one day on my 14 and never worried. I didn't have the lash my 2020 has although I'm going to load the Pennier tune soon I hope. I like the extra riding modes on my 2020 but I do miss my 14 Rocket. It was reliable as hell and never had one issue with it in 7 years. Now my 2020, lots of minor to mod problems but I still love it. I dig them both.:thumbsup:

Well im not in the UK but i am in Christchurch...NZ.
An engineering friend of mine who builds exhaust systems for motorcycles built me an exhaust system for my 2020 GT when i had it.
I too liked the look of the original pipes and wanted to keep that look.
I wanted to keep the cat box in original condition in case i needed it further down the track so a 'Boom box' was built after a jig using the original cat box was built. The boom box is a series of perforated pipes inside a steel box with some sound insulation wrapped around them. The box itself sits perfectly in place and has only one pipe existing the 'mufflers' (on each side of the bike) instead of a small one inside a bigger one. The sound is deeper yet not obtrusive...i love it and since then he has built several more for other clients....
I would say if you can find a similar engineer they could build something the same.

I like growl and sound but I’m about over the loud thing. My TFC has a great looking system but I bit demure in the sound department. It runs fast but sounds like a sleeper. My 2014 has a plenty loud Bryant pipe so I get my sound fix on that bike. All in all I’m ok with the sleeper new bike and the vulgar old one.

I like growl and sound but I’m about over the loud thing. My TFC has a great looking system but I bit demure in the sound department. It runs fast but sounds like a sleeper. My 2014 has a plenty loud Bryant pipe so I get my sound fix on that bike. All in all I’m ok with the sleeper new bike and the vulgar old one.
...it's an age thing...lol

...it's an age thing...lol
And when you’re young you feel the need to have a loud sound to make others believe you’re a bad azz. When you get our age you know you are an alpha prime male so there is nothing to prove. Additionally just let a young pup on a loud bike just try to take a new Rocket.;)

And when you’re young you feel the need to have a loud sound to make others believe you’re a bad azz. When you get our age you know you are an alpha prime male so there is nothing to prove. Additionally just let a young pup on a loud bike just try to take a new Rocket.;)
Agreed although a little rumble would be nice. The TORS on my 05 and 14 Rocket was a perfect sound for me. Not too loud and had a healthy tone to it. I'm all about the quieter exhaust but just not THAT quite. I think TAL has the best idea and setup.:thumbsup:

Well im not in the UK but i am in Christchurch...NZ.
An engineering friend of mine who builds exhaust systems for motorcycles built me an exhaust system for my 2020 GT when i had it.
I too liked the look of the original pipes and wanted to keep that look.
I wanted to keep the cat box in original condition in case i needed it further down the track so a 'Boom box' was built after a jig using the original cat box was built. The boom box is a series of perforated pipes inside a steel box with some sound insulation wrapped around them. The box itself sits perfectly in place and has only one pipe existing the 'mufflers' (on each side of the bike) instead of a small one inside a bigger one. The sound is deeper yet not obtrusive...i love it and since then he has built several more for other clients....
I would say if you can find a similar engineer they could build something the same.
I find it quite surprising that a UK exhaust manufacturer (Dave Platt for example) hasn't seen this gap in the market and started to make replacement Cat boxes.

Back