Anyone see this on exhaust?

OK....I can remove them but still don't know what they are.
Get headers very warm so you cannot touch them but not red hot. Put newspaper between the headers and engine block. Shake can of Easy Off oven cleaner well and spray on affected area. Let it stand for 18-24 hours and wipe off with damp sponge (aggressive side).
This will remove all or almost all of the black crap and a second application will certainly do it. No abrasives and no change in the texture of the SS.

I keep getting back spots on the headers, usually something that has melted, some debris or a dead insect or piece of splattered tar from the asphalt... disappears in to the ether once back up to temp a few times... those headers do get very hot!... saves buffing.. although those pipes a few posts above from Flubbyman do look lush... love a bit of chrome effect highly polished surface... I'd have to do all the brushed parts to match my OCD tendancies
I think it just asphalt thrown up from the road I always have that in summer when the road is hot or being repaired. Never Dull metal polish takes it right off with the solvent in it.

I think it just asphalt thrown up from the road I always have that in summer when the road is hot or being repaired. Never Dull metal polish takes it right off with the solvent in it.
Using abrasives like Never Dull will buff out the satin finish on the headers. This will change the look of the finish and I do not recommend this!!

Using abrasives like Never Dull will buff out the satin finish on the headers. This will change the look of the finish and I do not recommend this!!
There are no abrasive material in the Never Dull I buy.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210807-125058.png
    Screenshot_20210807-125058.png
    92.2 KB · Views: 4
Didn't a member on here post a few months back that the black specks were coming from the undercarriage area that had peeling or flaking black paint from the heat. It's worth checking underneath to see if that's the case. If there isn't any 'black material' on the headers then it's coming from something behind the headers that flakes off beneath the engine area. Just a suggestion as I'm curious also.

Not had this problem. Polished-up mine (headers & mufflers) and it'
R3 headers polished.png
s come up great. Tarnishes a little when run hot for a while, but nothing a few mins of elbow grease & Solvol wont return to its gleaming finish...
Who's the manufacturer on your bike lift?

Back