After Gettysburg Bike week

Boog

Traveling Story Teller
Ride
2014 R3T, RAMAIR, Full Viking Dual exhaust
I have been home for a couple of days and thought I would write a recap story on Gettysburg Bike Week. Pretty Pillion and I rode from Dumfries, VA to Gettysburg, PA on Thursday morning, bright and early. We had the furthest to go out of the group of friends attending this year and managed to beat them all by about 30 minutes. When we arrived at camp, we could see the venders set up in the northern most area and the poker run was about to get started. We checked in and found our campsite on the hill with a lone shade tree. The grass was rock free so we figured the tent would be fine. Our sleeping bags and tent was coming up with the camper trailers the other guys have so we had to wait till they arrived.
We met them soon after the survey and registered for the poker run; they had left their trailers at a local parking lot thinking they could not check in till after 3pm. Tom road his 1600cc Roadstar, Dave had his ex-Police Roadking (88 cu in) and Mike road his 88 cu in Street Bob. We all had pillion riders for this first run and Tom’s wife drove their 2 yo behind us (his 15 yo daughter occupied his back seat). The run was 55 miles long and we ate at one of the stops, an underground tavern dating back to the 1700s called ‘Dobbins House Tavern’. Very nice and built on a spring to ensure fresh water. They make good hamburgers so try them someday.
Back at the campsite, the crew went to retrieve their camper trailers and the decision made to set up our tent between their campers when they returned. As they set them up though, my mind was changed for me and we would sleep on the floor of the air-condition toy-hauler instead of the tent. (Pretty Pillion told me that was a good choice).
Dave cooked up some rib-eyes, his wife had potato salad, brownies and cup cakes from home for us and we ate like kings. The campground does not like having adult beverages so we did not tell them we had any. I brought some peach pie corn squeezins to go along with their beer. Dave surprised us with some fruit soaked with grain alcohol, (watermelon, strawberries and cherries). The girls told us the peach pie was a too strong and the Dave had ruined the fruit. I thought it was ok myself.
Tesla was the main act for the concert that night and rocked out quite well. While walking back to the camping area afterward, we noticed one of the venders was an S&M business with a woman handcuffed getting her back slapped with a cat-o-nine-tails. Shielding Tom’s teenaged daughter’s eyes, we shuffled past before she could ask too many questions.
Next morning arrived with me getting the fire going and finding that the brownies had been covered yet left out last night. Evidently, raccoons like them and had eaten most of what was left. Tom’s older daughter woke up and I showed her how to cook bacon on a campfire with a stick; she was amazed at how good bacon tasted after being cooked over an open fire is. Soon, I was cooking as much bacon as we had sticks for. Dave came out and saw this and told his wife that she needed to get breakfast going as people had resorting to eating like cavemen due to hunger. He is more civilized than yours truly I supposed. Anyway, the girls got together and cooked us a breakfast feast before we headed out for the second poker run.
Out on this 65-mile run, the girls abandoned us to go shopping at the nearby Outlet Mall. (Still beats the hell out of me why anyone would rather shop than ride around the beautiful countryside). So, the boys had a get-out-of-jail-free card without the girls but we did not stop at the BYOB Gentlemen’s club… We did have lunch at a great crab house called Rube’s Crab Shack. The food was great but they are intentionally slow so that you buy more beer.
We met up with the girls back at camp where I get the idea that some of them do not like riding back seat during the heat of the day; just a guess. Anyway, while we were out Will Till showed up on his award winning Hell on Wheels. I caught up to him in the vender area and we strolled merrily about enjoying a beer until the Flaunt Girls showed up on stage to give us a tease. All I can say is, those girls work out…
After the show, I took Will back to camp where I forced him to have a little peach pie to go along with his beer. Okay, I didn’t have to force him to drink and he even seemed to like our Virginia home cooked squeezins. After a few beverages, we all walked up to the show area and enjoyed Kentucky Head Hunters. I thought Tesla rocked out the night before but these old farts stole the whole event with their music. And their drummer, with his grey beard parted down to his waist, tore up the skins like nobody I have ever seen or heard before. **** that was fun. Will bugged out just as the show was ending.
Next morning had us repeating our previous day but my Pretty Pillion decided that it would be more fun to ride and be our official navigator on the last poker run. Unfortunately, both she and I were way off our game this morning and made several wrong turns. One was after clearing a rainsquall that made us retrace our path back into the rain to find the correct road. It was here that my right blinker stopped working. Mike was behind me to the right and almost run up on us too close at one point. I was slowing down without braking for a right turn and almost turned into him. Time for a new switch it looks like.
Lunchtime found us eating at Goofy’s beach bar just outside of Hanover. It is not near a beach so they brought in some sand and made a *****in’ volleyball court. They have cheap beer and good food, try this place too folks.
Back at camp, Tom cooked up some great chicken ka-bobs and Mike grilled us some hot sausage. That grilled stuff sure goes good with peach pie. As the evening wore down, we watched fireworks through the trees ending the last night of the rally. They put on a great show.
The biggest downer to the event had to be the lousy roads. Loose sand and gravel was all about on the pavement. Several bikes went down because of it (none of us though). Other areas had potholes big enough to hide a small car and the main camping area was simple gravel roads atop wet soil, not favorable for Rockets. I saw a couple of Harleys go down here too.
In the end, we got some cool swag from the venders and had a great time with friends. If any of you happened to come by and we missed you, I’m sorry for that as I would have loved to share my peach pie with you. I only saw two other Triumphs there beside mine and Will’s, a Speedmaster and an America.
The ride home took us across two old covered bridges and we had a great meal in Frederick MD at the Brewers Alley. Hope to see a few more of you next time.

Back