Robm422

.060 Over
Ride
Rocket iii roadster
Man, I always thought adventure bikes were lame. If you want a street bike, just get a street bike. If you want a dirt bike just get one, they're way better at it. But, I started watching youtube videos about guys going on rides to alaska and other cool and rugged destinations, and it seems like they are the right bike for the job. So now I'm thinking I'm going to have to add one to the stable, maybe in a few years., after the rocket is payed off. Going on those long adventures where your out there camping and going on and off road seems so fun!

I am getting a KLR650. In Saskatchewan we are a motorsports dead zone. Unless it can plated and insured you can't ride it. You will be charged for being on the road, in the ditch (which is part of the road) and all the adjacent land is privately owned. At least with an adventure bike it can be plated so you can ride out of town legally and then when I go somewhere fun to ride I still have a usable off road bike. With a dirt bike I would have to trailer it everywhere. I have been reading Adventure bike magazine and it's getting me more into dual purpose riding again. Adventure bikes are the fastest growing segment of the motorcycle world.

Man, I always thought adventure bikes were lame.

Spend some time on Adv bike forums and see what they think of cruisers.

I owned an R1200GS before the Rocket and it was far and away the best bike I've ever had. Where you go is only limited by your ability, not the bikes. I also had a KLR for awhile. Aside from breaking a couple of ribs (my fault, not the KLR's) it was a hoot. Not nearly as comfortable for long trips as the GS but a bit easier to handle in the slow bits and much cheaper.

Keep your eye out for a mid '90's BMW R1100GS. I have a 96 and it is a really stellar bike. Great around town, easy on the highway, decent off-road (places like you are talking about), and you can find them for about $5-6,000 with ok milage on them (got mine with 67,000).

Easy to work on and such a solid motor.

Edit: I had an '07 R1200GSA "Adventure" and while I like it and like Harry says it is a great bike especially on the road, I found it really top heavy (and I am a big guy 6'6" 250lbs). I like the 1100 much better. Far more nimble.

The Triumph Adventure bike is nice too. Seen those almost new for like $10,000. I got the BMW because it is so easy to work on.

The ADV guys on youtube sure look like they're having fun. I'm going to pick up a KLR 250 one of these days.

In the way of recommendations; check out 'Halthrottle'. He has some AWESOME videos. He doesn't post much anymore, but he rode from Utah to Panama & back, and then lived in Panama for several years.

Yeah, I really like the idea of getting another triumph, like the tiger 800 or 1200. But I'm also interested in the Ducati Multistrada and the ktm 1290 super adventure.

Adventure riding is a ball, and my first love. I'm fortunate enough to live in a state with many thousands of miles of dirt roads, leading to the nicest places that only a tiny portion of the population ever sees. I recently completed the Idaho Backcountry Discovery Route, about 1400 miles, of which all but 50-100 is dirt. Fantastic riding, camping, views and interesting small towns. My bike of choice is a Tiger 800XC (would prefer an XCX sometime...after the Rocket is paid off). Amazing bike, very good on pavement or off....though after riding the Rocket for a few weeks, it does seem down on power! Much as I like the Rocket, I'd get rid of it before the Tiger, just because the places it can go are so limited. It gets far more use-about 11,000 miles so far this year, but I since I picked up the Rocket...not so much.

Last edited:
Back