A Triple Triumph for Triumph

Hondax

Nitrous
Body:West Central Missouri, Mind: Yes I are.
TRIUMPH: Alastair Walker
AT last, Triumph have produced a sportbike which competes with the best in the world.

The Daytona 675 triple is a bike which I had been waiting to test ride from the moment I saw it at the NEC last October. It's been worth the wait. This is one of the best mid-sized sportsbikes you can buy, bar none, with a torquey engine, svelte handling and outstanding brakes. It also looks stylish.
In short, it's so good I have to kick myself to believe that it's been designed and built in Britain. So, hats off to John Bloor and the Hinckley Triumph factory, because the Daytona 675 is a far better road bike than an R6, a ZX6R or a Honda CBR600RR.
All those Japanese four cylinder bikes make plenty of power, but you need to rev the engines to about 7000rpm or so to get some action.

But the Triumph has power from just above tickover, it lunges forward in every gear, effortlessly overtaking slow-moving traffic with a growl from its unique three cylinder motor. The sound this bike makes is highly addictive - the airbox induction noise is louder than the exhaust pipe. The bike is also reasonably comfortable, with a narrow, fairly hard, saddle, but set just low enough so that a short-ish bloke like me, with a 30 inch inside leg, can set a foot down at traffic lights.
The suspension is firm, but works exceptionally well at speed and the front brakes are easily powerful enough for trackday use.
The impressive thing is the overall balance of power, handling and braking - the Daytona 675 feels like a scaled down GSXR1000 K5 and that's a great place to be in sports motorcycle design.
The upside is that the Triumph appears to be better made than a Suzuki GSXR, it matches the level of finish that Honda are renowned for. In short, the Daytona 675 is a future classic, a brilliant motorcycle. Once the waiting list shrinks a bit, you should get yourself on this machine and discover how good a British-made motorbike can be.

I concur wholeheartedly, of course. The supply situation is easing a bit in Switzerland (my own Geneva dealer has sold 15 units, mine included, in no time, which is a HUGE number by local measurements (*) for any bike model, regardless of make, size or market segment). But I read somewhere that availability remains "controlled", i.e. limited :) in other markets, including the UK.

Grab one if you can!

(*) Switzerland as a whole is about the size of New Jersey

Jamie:cool:

Back