I think there could be a problem with this air horn idea. I've had the little beepy thingy replaced with a regular car horn for awhile now and wanted to try the air horn. I looked over the ideas here and trotted my ars down to the parts store to pick up a WOLO Badboy air horn. They do seem to be the same as the Rivco and Nautilus but I got the WOLO and can't comment on the other two. I was planning to mount the air pump separate from the horn and was starting to cut off the collar that holds it together when I figgured I'd run a decibel comparison just to see if It was all worth it. (yeah, I have a meter ... don't ask why) The difference was negligible, just a couple decibels difference between the air horn and the typical, black, plastic, cheap, 1/2-of-a-pair-of-car-horns. Weird huh?
My ears couldn't even tell the difference in volume. Could the sensory difference perceived be just the fact that the air horns are being mounted under the seat behind the side covers so much closer to the ear? Did I get a bad one? Is my cheap plastic car horn on steroids? These are questions answered only with further tests I'm not gonna do.
I took the Badboy back and will leave the cheap, plastic car horn up front where it's been for two years. I just don't think it's worth the cost and effort for a couple more decibels. That, and it's in front pointed at traffic rather than on the side pointed at ME. ;)

..I mounted two Stebel horns, one on each side of the radiator..straight plug and play into the double horn relay kit from our friend at Eastern Beaver, which plugged into the 3 circuit solution he sells..the headlight relay plugs into it also..

..I used the Twin TM-80 model (electromagnetic) whereas the Stebel Nautilus is electropneumatic (air)...they sound like a bus horn..I've scared the bejesus out of more than one cell phone talking, land drifting, non driving SOB..:D..

..and no matter which aftermarket horn you use, you should use a relay..and if you buy Stebel, make sure you get it from a reputable dealer that has the real Italian made horns..there are a lot of Chinese knock offs out there that masquerade as Stebel..

Link Removed

..I mounted two Stebel horns, one on each side of the radiator..straight plug and play into the double horn relay kit from our friend at Eastern Beaver, which plugged into the 3 circuit solution he sells..the headlight relay plugs into it also..

..I used the Twin TM-80 model (electromagnetic) whereas the Stebel Nautilus is electropneumatic (air)...they sound like a bus horn..I've scared the bejesus out of more than one cell phone talking, land drifting, non driving SOB..:D..

..and no matter which aftermarket horn you use, you should use a relay..and if you buy Stebel, make sure you get it from a reputable dealer that has the real Italian made horns..there are a lot of Chinese knock offs out there that masquerade as Stebel..

Link Removed

I've got a single Steble mounted on the right side of my radiator. It seems to get the attention of cell phone users pretty quick. I'd like to see a pic of your set up.

2 horns = twice the attention.:cool::cool:

..I think the twins are rated at the same decibel loudness as the single Nautilus..one is high pitch..one is low..but the overall tone is lower than the single Nautilus...

I toasted the relay on my Stebel Nautilus after about a year. Put in an aftermarket car relay so far so good.

Back