Mods affect warranty??

please note Aussie guys if you have an issue with a dealer over warranty see my post #3 I have highlighted the guy to talk to he is a great guy to deal with:cool:

OK, situation as I sit here waiting on the call from the dealer is this. Thanks to Hanso I was able to give Triumph Australia a call and spoke to Chris. I said I was concerned at the dealer's comments that the mods I don't negated the warranty and explained everything I've done to bike. He said he couldn't see how any of that could have caused the issue and, without my even having the VIN with me, said he'd approve the work and would contact the dealer. Wow, I really didn't expect that.

As I said, I'm sitting here with no other news yet. I've just come out of a meeting and half expected to have heard from the dealer by now (it's 4.15). So unless there's been more said, Triumph has come to the party and I'll have had my bike fixed. I may well be travelling down the coast to that other dealer next time though!

Thanks Hanso and thanks for the comments from others. Might even enjoy riding that "Roadster" back - altho somehow I doubt it.

I should just delete the previous post. F*** f*** f***. Just rang the dealer to see if the bike's ready and he told me he's convinced Triumph the job shouldn't be fixed under warranty. :mad::mad::mad: I then rang Chris at Triumph back and it turns out the dealer had told him this has been a recurring problem, which it hasn't been. The previous work was to replace the head gasket and in doing that they replaced the tappet cover gasket, and I reckon they botched the tappet seal at that time. This time it's was just the tappet cover gasket (not the head gasket as he told me earlier).

What a f***ing jerk to talk Triumph out of paying for it and on the basis of total bs. I don't get it. :mad::mad:

Chris was going to call him back. Don't blame him at all; he has to go on what he;'s told. I won't know where that conversation got to until I get there but will let you know. :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

Even stranger now. Rode over there on that Sachs Roadster all the way thinking about what I'd say and do when I got there. Was greeted with a very friendly "how's it going" and asked if I'd spoken to Chris at Triumph. I said I had and that he was going to ring them - he hadn't. BUT, they then said it was no charge. No charge for work or any extras, not even a charge for the lone bike. The owner then said he had thought it had been in for the same problem previously and that the mods I've done take the bike "so far away from stock" he thought he was doing the right thing.

Not quite prepared to give him the benefit of the doubt and still struggling to undeerstand why he went to so much trubble to make me pay, but nevertheless glad it's all sorted. :confused:

It was sooooo god to climb back on my big boy. :D It felt comfortable and BIG again. You get so used to them don't you? Sometimes it's good to misws them for a while - bit like with people I guess.

By the way, the mods that apparently were too extreme were, wait for it, the triple filters (and consequent removal of the positive breather) and removal of secondaries. These were the cause of the excessive crank case pressure. Anyway, over now.

End result: huge loss of confidence. :(:( At least these :mad::mad::mad: have gone.

My friggin Gawd so It was only the tappet gasket, That is pathetic $300 for that you have to be kidding I replaced my tappet gasket when put the Chrome Rocker cover on and it took 1/2 an hour tops, He is Profiteering and ripping you off, and if it "is a recurring problem then it would have started recurring before you did your mods and one of the mating surfaces is faulty so they should either replace the head or rocker cover or both, but to be honest if he had put the gasket in properly last time it should have had gasket sealant near cam journal ends and the gasket is designed to fit quiet well so they must have botched it up or did they reuse the old gasket? last time
Don't let him get away with it tell him you are a Ulysses member and there would be a lot of triumph owners that would be interested in this capper, especillaly after he talked triumph into dis honouring the claim. Richard if this is not resolved I will Ring chris and tell him why I chose to travel further to Nowra for my dealer

Even stranger now. Rode over there on that Sachs Roadster all the way thinking about what I'd say and do when I got there. Was greeted with a very friendly "how's it going" and asked if I'd spoken to Chris at Triumph. I said I had and that he was going to ring them - he hadn't. BUT, they then said it was no charge. No charge for work or any extras, not even a charge for the lone bike. The owner then said he had thought it had been in for the same problem previously and that the mods I've done take the bike "so far away from stock" he thought he was doing the right thing.

Not quite prepared to give him the benefit of the doubt and still struggling to undeerstand why he went to so much trubble to make me pay, but nevertheless glad it's all sorted. :confused:

It was sooooo god to climb back on my big boy. :D It felt comfortable and BIG again. You get so used to them don't you? Sometimes it's good to misws them for a while - bit like with people I guess.

By the way, the mods that apparently were too extreme were, wait for it, the triple filters (and consequent removal of the positive breather) and removal of secondaries. These were the cause of the excessive crank case pressure. Anyway, over now.

End result: huge loss of confidence. :(:( At least these :mad::mad::mad: have gone.
My guess is that Chris gave him a a wake up Call as I told you on the phone there is very helpfull dealer down here, I certainly wouldn't be taking my bike to him again If I were you

Canberra3, from my experience the only time a warranty claim can be denied because of modifications is if it can be proved beyond doubt that the modification did cause or contributed to a particular part failing and that is many cases is very difficult to prove.

As matter of interest why was the head gasket replaced on your Rocket, my Roadster has three times over 6500km pushed out coolant from the coolant bottle but the motor never seemed to be hot.

Back