Mods affect warranty??

G'day Richard

Can't believe the level of bull**** some people will go to just so they can rip someone off. Obviously the bloke doesn't understand the workings of an engine to well. How in the hell did you keep your patience with the mentally impotent bastard.

Got one load of bull **** from my dealer and went straight to the manager, politely told him don't treat me like a ******* idiot or I'll flog every c**t in the place.

Now when he got he head out of his arse and listened he realised there was a recall for my rocket to fix a wiring issue, he apologised and has been excellent ever since.

You must have the patience of a saint, I know I have none dealing with bull**** from a wanker, that's when Cathy does the talking, she keeps me out of trouble bless her heart. Glad to see you got your toy fixed and are back on the road again, and I will commit to memory never to go the Queanbeyan bike shop.

Marty

To put another perspective on things, modding anything under warranty can be a risk. I'm not sure about the laws outside the US but without legal protection you may be at the mercy of the dealer.

Dealerships are usually not owned by the manufacturer and as private businesses they can make the call as they see fit. In the US there is a law (Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act) that relates to such things. Problem is, if you are denied warranty work due to changes you have made its up to you to prove your case. That can involve legal fees that can make pursuing the issue a moot point.

If you can get the manufacturer to step up and agree to cover the costs you're in great shape. However, if they defer the decision to the dealership, you can be out of luck.

Bottom line is, modding anything under warranty is a risk. Most agree that if you can't afford that risk you're better off waiting until you're out of warranty. Of course, I didn't follow that advice at all, but I was lucky in that I had no issues while under warranty.

That's absolutely correct. The main reason I wanted to ring Triumph was not to save some $ but to try to clarify the comment from the dealer that I'd somehow voided my warranty. I can see that there would be instances of claims where a mod might do that. In my case the dealer was actually suggesting that the removal of the airbox, for example, took away the connection for crankcase breather. So it wasn't so much the installing of triples, but the change to the crankcase venting, that had caused the problem with the rocker cover seal. Fortunately that didn't hold, but I guess the principle is what we need to keep in mind.

The conversation I had with Chris was that adding TORS and triples would mostly be OK. The Dobec on the other hand could lead to issues because it changes the fueling. However, he agreed absolutely that I'd be more likely to be damaging the engine without it fitted as I'd be running way to lean with the TORS tune that had been loaded by the dealer when the TORS were fitted. Almost a catch 22! PowerCommanders, because they intefer with the ECU (correct me if I'm wrong), are more likely to be a problem.

:D Chris knows me as the bloke from Brissy who threatened to fly down and batter whoever was not ok-ing my repairs. Team Moto service manager helped , confirming to Triumph Australia that i would probably do as i threatened.... Funny but we have not had an 'issue' since :D

:D Chris knows me as the bloke from Brissy who threatened to fly down and batter whoever was not ok-ing my repairs. Team Moto service manager helped , confirming to Triumph Australia that i would probably do as i threatened.... Funny but we have not had an 'issue' since :D

G'day Tomcat

You're a man after my own heart! It's funny how we are all told how good the warranty is on any thing new we purchase from a TV to a house. I believe the real art to Warranties is the quality of the spin doctors every business will use to get out of honouring their respective warranties.

Although we are always told from children violence never solves anything, I have found letting fly and telling these so called spin doctors what will happen if one is ripped off has a better and more desired affect than all the diplomacy in the world.

It's not rocket science by any means, black and white no bull**** or lies in between. Offer a Warranty, honour it, if their is any exclusions spell them out from day one not when it comes time for a repair. Simple!!!!

That's my ***** for the day, besides a good shake never hurts anyone, keeps one honest I reckon:D

G'day Tomcat

You're a man after my own heart! It's funny how we are all told how good the warranty is on any thing new we purchase from a TV to a house. I believe the real art to Warranties is the quality of the spin doctors every business will use to get out of honouring their respective warranties.

Although we are always told from children violence never solves anything, I have found letting fly and telling these so called spin doctors what will happen if one is ripped off has a better and more desired affect than all the diplomacy in the world.

It's not rocket science by any means, black and white no bull**** or lies in between. Offer a Warranty, honour it, if their is any exclusions spell them out from day one not when it comes time for a repair. Simple!!!!

That's my ***** for the day, besides a good shake never hurts anyone, keeps one honest I reckon:D
I just let the Tiger within this Big Ol' ***** Cat come out to Play if they even hint of not compliying

Back