For Sale wants to sell '05 R3

Truth in advertising. There are little flaws all over the bike. One of the stand offs on the header came loose and I stuck it back on, which burned off the powdercoat. There is another that needs to be tack welded, also visible in the same photo. There are stickers from El Mirage which record the runs the bike made. Leave them on, they will probably be hell to clean off. Also the LSR badge on the rear fender will be hard to get off as will be the frame number sticker (all SCTA stuff) The two white specs on the rear of the saddle bag is white paint, I know, I know. Look carefully at the seat back for the passenger. There is a small tear in the naugahyde (thank God for spell check). The chrome on the front part of the fender cover won't polish any more and the Left mirror acquired some scratches (actually splitting lanes right near my house and I wacked a mirror which thankfully folded in and didn't seem to be damaged. I really couldn't tell, it was way behind me by the time I got the mirror straight)
The third picture doesn't show it well, but the middle of the top of the tank has a patch of clear coat that is textured like a towel. The clear coat was still soft when I installed the tank, filled it with gas and it began leaking from a bad fuel pump gasket. I pulled the tank off, and set it upside down on a towel which printed into the soft clear coat. Might polish out? Probably needs another coat or two of House of Kolor, Show Clear, and then buff it out.

Attachments

• IMG_9600.jpg
    IMG_9600.jpg
    256.7 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_9605.jpg
    IMG_9605.jpg
    274 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_9616.jpg
    IMG_9616.jpg
    238.9 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_9620.jpg
    IMG_9620.jpg
    246.6 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_9630.jpg
    IMG_9630.jpg
    231.9 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_9631.jpg
    IMG_9631.jpg
    195.5 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_9632.jpg
    IMG_9632.jpg
    263 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_9634.jpg
    IMG_9634.jpg
    246.2 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_9635.jpg
    IMG_9635.jpg
    198.9 KB · Views: 22
Following all the posts and advice. I was stung a little to think anyone would think the motor was seized but I realize Pegasus is the only one who remembers me here. So it was a fair warning to others to beware. I was sure it is a broken wire, but the joke I tried to make about it maybe being the relay, or solenoid.... got me thinking. Swapping the starter motor would be a lot easier then tracking down a broken wire, so I crawling under the bike to put a clip lead on the starter, but the lead is not easy to reach, so I got out the manual and looked for the "white wire" (and the white wires are mostly turn signals?.) but I found the black wire on the starter relay that goes to the starter and put a clip lead on it and touched off the engine. Happily it started right up and ran long enough to shoot a video before it ran out of gas with the tank up in the air. But any who are interested you can hear the motor is not seized, still sounds healthy (and with Sam's pipes makes good power and sounds real serious).
Rocket 3 start up with Sam's Pipes

Tribal, Long story and I wanted to get the picture of second gear up before I told the story. When the bike was new it had the tractor transmission clunk when you put it in first. I wasn't quite as bothered as most owners because the bike had about 6,000 miles on it, so it was much smoother than when new, and I had ridden it many many times as a demo, so I was used to it. I talked to the service department and realized it was a big job to change, motor out of bike and upside down on the bench etc. Then after I bought it, and I was having visions of being the next Kevin Carmichael drifting the bike and dragging the license plate in the street, I got a little carried away. I was passing an Independent Harley repair place, (and a nice guy) but he had a customer in the parking lot, and I was already rolling along in first when I spotted the potential audience to see my awesomeness, So....
I clutched it and grab a fistful, but it was going to fast already in first to get the front wheel up, so I thought, "perfect time to start getting the hang of second gear wheelies"... (Here hold my beer....) Anyway I was embarrassed at the noise I was making and the lack of altitude, so I banged second gear with a real big handful of throttle. Only I missed second gear. This turned out to be far more embarrassing than I expected. The bike made lots of noises and stopped moving forward under it's own power.
I got the bike back to the dealer and tried to explain that I didn't know what happened,... and eventually, because it was still under warranty and there were issues about the gear box, they fixed it under warranty. This was way above and beyond as far as I was concerned, but I was delighted. I asked the service writer about doing the upgrade while it was apart and he informed me that Triumph wouldn't do that, as they expected it might cause of rash of warranty claims for failed transmissions. But the dealer ordered the new gear and dog (the upgrade) for stock, which I bought for cash, and they installed during the repair. I brought home the "New" original style gear and dog that Triumph sent for the warranty repair, and those are in the original bags from 2007 when So Cal Triumph put my bike back together. I left Yorba Linda California for New York the next month and travelled 7,500 mile to Americade and back without a hitch. It has worked perfect ever since. If anyone wants to restore an '05 to really original condition I will consider selling the gear and dog separately, otherwise everything goes with the bike.

Attachments

• NewGear.JPG
    NewGear.JPG
    357.3 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:
And Tribal as far as the price, if I could sell it to a Captain or his/her friend that would ride it, (and come here to pick everything up), I would be delighted to get $2,000. I know someone could part it out and make a few dollars on it, but I would rather know it is back on the road. It is a very early R3. As I said before it arrived at So Cal Triumph during the very first shipment that they got. I would of course entertain offers. Now that I have started it again, the urge to ride it again is strong.

Complete set of Stock pipes with Cat delete. In good shape. Came off of Steves bike (Pegasus) when I swapped him the Jardines for stock in case I got a ticket with the headers that Sam made. Make me an offer and they can go to a good home.

Attachments

• IMG_9666.JPG
    IMG_9666.JPG
    300.8 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_9667.JPG
    IMG_9667.JPG
    298.1 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_9668.JPG
    IMG_9668.JPG
    327.8 KB · Views: 11
This is the best for sale add ever! So honest and transparent. This thread has been a treat, im sure it will sale soon to one of our forum bruthas and thats cool, you are one cool dude Turbofan and im following in your footsteps. Trying too. I love the bike and for 2000 grand its a gift. please share more about your racing and your life. im glad youre on this forum this has been a really cool encounter

Back