n3716e

.060 Over
Ride
2014 Rocket III Roadster
I know there has been a lot of discussion about this and a lot of differing opinions, but after much research I really wanted to figure out a way to adapt the Brake Away throttle lock to my 2014 Roadster. Today it was finally warm enough to test it and it worked great.

Now for the legal stuff: I am not advocating that anyone else do, or attempt to do this, following any information shared on this post is at your own risk, etc., etc., etc.

Since the 7CP01 is the only currently available model that comes close to fitting any Triumph Rocket, I started with that knowing the handlebar "wrap around stabilizer" would not work. After looking at pictures of the installation of the previous model (a 5CP01 I think) I decided to try to connect the round bar out of the back of the 7CP01 to the same nut the previous model connected to. In order to do that I would have to make an adapter.

I ended up using 3/4" by 1/2" by 2" piece of aluminum angle. I had to be able to bolt the angle to front brake handle pivot bolt so I drilled a whole and finger tightened it into place. I then installed the "over the throttle" section of the BrakeAway and secured it according to the manufacturer's directions. Next I installed the round bar of the BrakeAway into the already installed BrakeAway assembly. So now I have the majority of the BreakAway assembly swinging from the throttle and I have a piece of aluminum angle mounted to the front bake handle pivot bolt. Using clamps to secure the round bar to the aluminum angle I stated adjusting both (rotating the round bar in its receptacle and changing the bend of the aluminum angle) until I could get the BrakeAway properly adjusted and functioning. Once that was complete, I marked two spots on the round bar perpendicular to the flat of the aluminum angle the bar rested against. I then removed the round bar from the BrakeAway and drilled a hole, the correct size for a number 6 machine bolt, at each of those spots with a drill press. Then I reassembled everything with the clamps (ensuring that the clamps did not cover the newly drilled holes) and made sure everything worked, once again. I then (using the holes in the round bar as a guide) drilled two holes into the aluminum angle. I then secured the round bar to the aluminum angle with #6 SS machine bolts and lock nuts. Then I removed the clamps and ensured everything worked as intended and today finally had an opportunity to "road test" it. I was very please with its performance from ease of locking the throttle in place to the ability to release it using the release button or by applying the front brake. It also still allowed minor adjustments while engaged but maintained a set rpm when the throttle was released.

I did have the luxury of having access to a drill press and a metal brake, making changing the angle of the aluminum possible. One might be able to do it with pliers, but it probably wouldn't look as good.

Below are pictures of the finished installation from the front of the bike, the rider's position and the right side of the bike.

IMG_0949.jpg
IMG_0950.jpg
IMG_0951.jpg

Just wanted to share what I was able to do. If anyone has suggestions for improvements, I would love to hear them.

Back