pastorfreak

Supercharged
Ok I am looking for advice for my new Rocket when it comes in. What exhaust do people here run and recommend? I see the D&D eliminates the CAT, and adds power how do they sound I am looking for a low growling type sound is that possible? Other suggestions would be greatly appreciated as well. Looking for more torque related things than top end HP. You all have been riding them for some time and I am sure have had several trial and errors, so please help me and others not make the same mistakes.

Freak

Hey pastorfreak, member Hondax runs D&D's and they sound good. They offer the most bang for the buck. A lot of the the exhaust decision process is more appearance and sound, any differences in performance gains between products is going to be negligible. Most manufacturers claim between 15 to 22 HP gain. If you eliminate the cat box you will not only shed 10-15 pounds but increase performance and exhaust will be louder. And don't forget Triumph sells "off-road" pipes also.

I have Maddogs. I picked them because I liked the slash cuts, the stock-like set up and after listening to Toystoretom's, the sound.

In the Prop Wand FAQ section I have in the Rocket Performance thread, links to just about every exhaust that is made for the Rocket. In the Multimedia section I have sound links to a few also.

The Rocket won't sound like a V-Twin, but it sounds mean. As far as adding more torque, stock the Rocket has twice as much torque as an HD, and with each mod (exhaust etc) both HP and torque seem to increase proportionally.

One of the best ways to increase performance is with a Tuneboy. Not only will it help sort fueling issues, you can circumvent Triumph's power limits on the Rocket, the secondary butterflies and ignition mapping in the first three gears.

D&d

I just put D&D's on mine 2 days ago. I love them. They let me shed weight like pig9r says and they sound great. I was concerned about the looks as I really liked the 3 pipe look and still do, but it was the most economical way to get what I wanted and get rid of the cat box too. I have no regrets, I can tell a big difference in the way the bike pulls and accelerates. The pipes came well packed and all the hardware was good quality. The instructions were vague but if you have ever put many pipes on bikes most are. It will amaze you to see how heavy the cat box and stock pipes really were, besides, the header comes off as one pipe and most really good performance exhaust are multipe pipes coming into a single muffler like on the HD's (pro-pipe vance and hines, thunder-header, bassini, etc). There is a lot of good material on here and knowledge from all the guys, just do your research and make a decision that makes you happy. For all purpose's though, the Rocket has plenty of power any way the way it is stock and any choice you make will be ok as long as it suits you as far as sound(DB's) and looks.
Steve

The D&D's may be the way I am going to go. I am not looking for the V-twin sound I have that with the Road King I went with the 95 inch kit and branch heads pistons etc on that with a result of 91 HP and about 93 Ft/Lbs of torque nothing compared to the Rocket even stock but not bad a Harley. I just dont want an angry bee kind of sound. I looked at the sound bites and nothing with the D&D's on it anyone have a sound bite with these pipes?

As a MSF Instructor I want to show people you can ride a huge powered bike and control it without being a complete idiot. Here in Michigan we have these sport bike riders dying on our roads to do 130 mph wheelies around corners and not making it. I am very impressed with the power on the Rocket anyone should be but the handling on this bike is incredible.

The shop I am getting the Rocket from is called Life Cycle and the head Mechanic was in one of my MSF classes so he is going to hook me up with a few pulls on their Dino to see the gains made while I am setting the bike up.

Thanks for the advice so far looking forward ot some more,

Freak

Last edited:
Hello Pastor Freak.

D&D's are subdued at idle and modest acceleration, but when you give it a twist, they really wake up the neighborhood. At cruising speed I find they are not loud enough to prevent hearing the 2300cc purring away. They are cheap, look and sound great. Are they the Deepest sounding pipe? Probably not, but they are throaty to be sure. I can't say how much of an increase in performance I got cuz they were on the bike when I purchased. I don't think any one can argue you get the most bang for the buck with D&D's cuz they are so much cheaper than other set-ups. If you want to retain the classic Triumph 3 pipe look, D&D is not the way to go as they are 3 into 2.
I just dont want an angry bee kind of sound. I looked at the sound bites and nothing with the D&D's on it anyone have a sound bite with these pipes?
A few folks on this forum have heard my D&D's. Let's see what they say about the D&D sound. Angry Bee? Not hardly, try "Angry Puma".
No sound files for D&D that I've ever run across.

Last edited:
Any Californians removing catbox?

What about California, and other states where it might be illegal to swap out the pipes and remove the cat-box? I'm not saying, of course, that I would break the law :rolleyes:, or that any of you guys would ;). Anybody?...anyone care to comment?....

Hince the "for offroad use only" that either comes with the directions or in the case of Triumph TOR's is stamped on the pipe.

I am pretty sure it is illegal to modify factory/exhaust in any state per the EPA. However, if you think it is an issue that cause you problems in your area, which CA has been quite the pioneer, you could always refit the factory setup at inspection time. If you bought your Rocket in CA it has a charcoal canister fitted to it also that I believe is for a engine breather of some sort. It is under one of the side covers.

SteveG said:
What about California, and other states where it might be illegal to swap out the pipes and remove the cat-box? I'm not saying, of course, that I would break the law :rolleyes:, or that any of you guys would ;). Anybody?...anyone care to comment?....

Keep the catbox handy for inspection time. Ask how all the California Harley riders get away with illegal exhausts. Out here in God's Country "the law" is pretty lax about excessive noise, but if you are a jerk and start getting a name for yourself, watch out.

If you get caught in Germany with an aftermarket set-up and have not declared it to your Insurance Company,.....YOU ARE SCREWED!! If your aftermarket set-up IS properly insured, you have a good chance of them OVERLOOKING excessive decibels.

Back