Mark Zimmerman

.020 Over
Ride
2020 Triumph Rocket 3R
Has anyone experienced any engine stalling issues? At times when slowing to a stop in 1st gear, clutch fully pulled in and having completed a proper rev match before downshifting to 1st ( I don't have a quickshifter installed), the engine will stall. I mentioned it to the tech when I just had it in for the 600 mile service and he mentioned there was an update he installed but had no idea what it's purpose was. He mentioned that most Triumph's have some kind of update at the 1st service. He wasn't able to replicate the stall and I can't replicate myself when trying....it's just a very intermittent nuisance
This "problem" was always present since new and happens very rarely.....maybe one out of 20 times when coming to a full stop I have approx. 700 miles on the odometer.

Haven't experienced it once yet (1100 km's on the clock so far) They said the 1200 twins did that too but i didn't have the problem on the scrambler either.

I’ve had it, but only twice and as you describes and it would seem that the old habit of blipping the throttle at slower speeds is to blame.

I’ve had it, and one time, it was coupled with the ‘out of range’ issue, so I had the thrill of pushing it to the side as the lights turned green. I’m old enough, and have owned enough bikes, to know I don’t stall the things when pulling up to a stop. Let’s hope it gets sorted out in the 1st service (finally on Wednesday, now the dealer has re-opened.)

I’ve had it, and one time, it was coupled with the ‘out of range’ issue, so I had the thrill of pushing it to the side as the lights turned green. I’m old enough, and have owned enough bikes, to know I don’t stall the things when pulling up to a stop. Let’s hope it gets sorted out in the 1st service (finally on Wednesday, now the dealer has re-opened.)
I, like you, am old enough and have logged more than enough miles to know I don't stall when pulling up to a stop. Please keep us informed as to what your dealer has to say. I just had the 1st service and unfortunately the issue remains. Thanks

Has anyone experienced any engine stalling issues? At times when slowing to a stop in 1st gear, clutch fully pulled in and having completed a proper rev match before downshifting to 1st ( I don't have a quickshifter installed), the engine will stall. I mentioned it to the tech when I just had it in for the 600 mile service and he mentioned there was an update he installed but had no idea what it's purpose was. He mentioned that most Triumph's have some kind of update at the 1st service. He wasn't able to replicate the stall and I can't replicate myself when trying....it's just a very intermittent nuisance
This "problem" was always present since new and happens very rarely.....maybe one out of 20 times when coming to a full stop I have approx. 700 miles on the odometer.
Just happened today. I had my first service on Friday (June 5) where they claim to have updated the ECU with a new map. So if they have tried to fix it, they didn't succeed.

Almost exactly as you described... Downshifting as I approached a red light, engine cut out, had to restart and after that no issues.

+1 had it twice after coasting to a stop slowly approaching traffic lights... pulled clutch in then, fine for a few yards, then cut out... happened since 1st service too (the same day and 3 days after) ... no ECU update done as far as I know, none available, no recalls or tech notes mentioned either?

I would think triumph is on this one, too many owners are experiencing this and stalling rolling to a stop could be a problem, pay very good attention when rolling to a stop until this is fixed.

I would think triumph is on this one, too many owners are experiencing this and stalling rolling to a stop could be a problem, pay very good attention when rolling to a stop until this is fixed.
The problem with the Thruxton/1200 twins was apparently that it was very lean. TEC bike parts recommended Booster plug to remedy it. I think there was a ECU flash as well for them.
Then again the problem with 3R stalling may be something else.

Back