speed limiter

roame

.020 Over
Ride
2016 Roadster
I'm running vr rated tire and see the speed limiter set at 135. No problem to change but I'd like to know how the speed is limited. Is the ecu reading the speed input signal and cutting back the secondaries? Are there any other(motorcycle equipment) considerations than tire quality to limit the top end?

I'm not going there, it's just too tempting!
I know, you get to the point where saying "GIPro" is opening yourself up to criticizm.
Ok, I'll say it .... with exception to T-Evans and his Classic (we still don't know why) the GiPro eliminates the speed limiter. I can say from my experience that after installing it (of course it already had triples, exhaust, PCIII and secondaries removed) the limiter went away. With an oversize screen, saddlebags and sitting upright, my standard will now bury the speedo at 150.
Healtec (makers of GiPro) states in their literature that the GiPro-w/ATRE disables the speed limiter, for me it did .... for T-Evans ???? ... he still has a limiter. The Tune-Boy users also say that it can be turned up to a higher limit with the software modifications from Tune-boy. Mr. Evans has had some trouble there as well, the reason I keep mentioning T, is not to single him out ... it's because I believe he is perfectly capable of wrenching on his bike and represents the typical owner, but has run into both of these issues and I feel bad for his troubles.
(to be used for informational purposes only, I'm out of the "recomending" business)

Last edited:
I can tell you that the GIPro elimanated the timing retard in the first 3 gears but for me, and my Classic. My bike would run 130 in 4th and when I would shift into 5th the bike would fall back and bounce off of some kind of electronic speed limiter. It felt like the spark would shut off and back on. I now have a Tuneboy and have down loaded a new tune and have raised the speed limiter up out of the way. I just got thru installing the T/B and have not had a chance to take the bike out and see what it does.
What I am wondering is how the Corbin fairing is going to do at speeds above the 130 that I have already seen. The 130 fells very stable so I am hoping that 150 wont be any different.

Big T

What I am wondering is how the Corbin fairing is going to do at speeds above the 130 that I have already seen. The 130 fells very stable so I am hoping that 150 wont be any different.
Big T

Funny you should ask - I have the Corbin fairing on my R3T. I've noticed when riding solo, at about 110mph (indicated) the bike starts to weave very slowly. I don't feel any motion/vibration in the bars and it never seems threatening. Just a little unnerving. Asked the service guy to check the triple tree/bearings/front-end back in the fall when I finally went in for the tire recall. He said no problem there. I can't blame it on the fairing because I installed it before I ever attempted anything approaching that speed.

I've not thought much about it because 110 is NOT normal for me. I start to get a little twitchy myself as the speedo nears the 100 mark.

Ride safe,
db

I have the Corbin fairing on my Classic and it is solid past 140mph. I can tell it does slow the bike down, but it doesn't weave or wobble for me.

I've experienced that weave on my R3T as well, and that's with the stock windshield. I think its a combination of the aerodynamics of the bike with a windshield and bags, road condition, tires etc. Its only happened rarely and as you describe is not terribly frightening, just a bit disconcerting. I've also topped 120 several times with no weave.

Back