Planning a summer ride and looking for tips

Phil R

Turbocharged
Ride
2008 Classic
I'm planning a ride this summer from Eastern Washington to Crescent City, CA, then down PCH/HWY 1 all the way down to San Diego. Then to Tuscon and then up through the Grand Canyon and then back home.

I have about 2 weeks of vacation time available for this trip. If anyone has experience on any legs of this trip, please let me know what I should expect.

Thanks,
Phil

The ride on I10 between Tucson and Phoenix is kind of boring and traffic can be really heavy somedays. Instead I take 79 through Oracle and Florance than 60 into Phoenix. Its all 2 lane but lightly traveled and good scenery. Carry lots of water with you.

I17 from Phoenix to Flagstaff is not bad, but expect heavy traffic for the first 50 miles north of Phoenix.

Arizona uses photo radar (both fixed and in vans) currently they give you 10 miles over (except in construction zones) before they ticket you.

Make sure you have a good and studied route through / around San Francisco. You'll need to veer inland around Bodego Bay and take up the coast again South of the Golden Gate. I always get lost going through there!

Other points:
- Crescent City means you miss the entire Oregon Coast - hopeful you've already seen that; it is spectacular!
- Two years ago just North of Bodego Bay - PCH was one-way for a stretch.
- You sure you want 90 miles of city between Santa Monica and San Clemente? Don't get me wrong - plenty to see and do in the Southland - just a lot of city to get through:
Google Maps

Am envious!

I've ridden all the roads you're planning. The trip down the coast will be outstanding, I've done that three times. You'll probably encounter damp, cool mornings and overall great weather that time of year.

From the time you get about an hour outside of San Diego, until you get about 2 hours north of Phoenix, you will absolutely cook. Unless it is very early summer expect temperatures well over 100. If you're not accustomed to the heat, be very careful. The back road up from Tucson, as mentioned, is a nice alternative to I10, in fact it ends about a half mile from my house.

Once you get up north, the weather will cool significantly. If you're here in mid July or later watch out for afternoon thunderstorms. They can spring up very quickly and get quite violent.

Back