Peak Horsepower

Status
Not open for further replies.
Of course not. I think we all know what we’re talking about here. We just don’t know how to say it.😅
Well since you know what we are talking about, tell me why it is said peak torque, as in alot. As in the most. Is at 4k, when clearly you feel the power pull way beyond that? This was why I posted this thread.

Peak torque is at 4K. There is still a ton of torque before and beyond 4K but it slowly drops off. The HP continues on at 4K and also continues on up to around 6K but also drops off slowly at a certain number before 6700. Just because you hit 4K and the torque peaks doesn't mean that HP won't push you and continue on with a continuous ascending speed and acceleration. At 4K torque drops but HP doesn't. Don't shift at 4K unless you want although if you're wanting to go faster shift around 5K to 6K. Most guys on here have their sweet spot. I rarely look at the tac as I go by engine sound. To each his own though and ride how you want. Cheers.
Well then like AZBEST I don't understand difference between torque and hp. And please don't try to explain it again. Done.

OK, my point was shifting at PEAK TORQUE 4K RPMS will NOT give fastest run. I don't get it.
When you accelerate hard you feel the torque trying to dump you off the back of the bike. When you shift at 4000 the torque drops significantly and you don't feel much pull in the next gear. Because of the flat torque curve, the bike keeps "pulling" all the way to redline. When you shift at 6500 the torque doesn't change much when you move into the next gear, and the bike continues to pull hard.

Most of the gears cause the torque to be multiplied. If you ride a bicycle with gears and put it in the easiest gear and mash the pedals as hard as you can, you can probably make the wheel spin - lots of torque multiplication. Put the bicycle in hard gear and you might not even get going because torque has been reduced so much - even though your legs are producing the same amount of torque.

With a motorcycle (or car) first grade multiplies the torque by a fair bit, giving you enough twisting torque that it's possible to twist the bike around the rear axle hard enough that you do a wheelie. As you get higher in the gears you get less multiplication so you feel less pull.

If you want to accelerate fast, keep the bike in the "power band", or the rpm range where you have maximum torque

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back