Peak Horsepower

Status
Not open for further replies.
The stock rev limiter is 7000. How could you not hit the rev limiter in 1st and 2nd on a Rocket? It does have traction control.
I have gone on very few rides were I have not hit the rev limiter at least a few times. Having said that I still have never heard an explanation of how the difference between torque and horsepower is manifested in real world riding. Well at least in a manner that is understandable to my limited intellect.

Torque is the twisting force, horsepower is the amount of work done. Even though you might be past peak torque, the additional rpms mean more work is done. I forget the formula, but torque and horsepower are always equal at 5250 rpm, I believe.

Torque is the twisting force, horsepower is the amount of work done. Even though you might be past peak torque, the additional rpms mean more work is done. I forget the formula, but torque and horsepower are always equal at 5250 rpm, I believe.
Right. Torque is what gets you from 0-60 in 2.7 seconds. Horsepower is what gets you through the quarter mile in 9 seconds.

This is what I mean, I am sure this is a brilliant explanation but how that translates into the real world baffles me. If I have two bikes, one with 100hp and 75 torque, and another with 75hp and 100 torque given every other variable is the same which one is doing 0 to 60 the fastest? Which one is doing the 1/4 mile the fastest? Which one is going to win a 40 mph roll on race? How about a 40 mph roll on race on a steep grade? Lol, its beyond me.

This is what I mean, I am sure this is a brilliant explanation but how that translates into the real world baffles me. If I have two bikes, one with 100hp and 75 torque, and another with 75hp and 100 torque given every other variable is the same which one is doing 0 to 60 the fastest? Which one is doing the 1/4 mile the fastest? Which one is going to win a 40 mph roll on race? How about a 40 mph roll on race on a steep grade? Lol, its beyond me.
As the punk said to Dirty Harry, " I gots to know".😂
And that's why people race, it's the only way to know.

Hi all,

From a high school physics book: Torque is a twisting force. Torque can be produced when no motion is present. A good example is pulling on a wrench when the nut doesn't turn. In the USA torque is measured in the units of ft-lb (foot pounds), some people say lb-ft (pound feet) but order doesn't matter.

Power is the rate at which work is done. Horsepower is one of several units power can be measured in. In the USA we typically use horsepower. 1 horsepower is 550 ft-lb of work done in one second. Please note the ft-lb in the power unit are NOT the same as the ft-lb in the torque unit. In order to do work, a force must move and object.

For a rotating shaft Power is Torque X rpm divided by 5252 provided that torque is measured in ft-lb.

I asked a fellow that used to build dragster engines at what rpm should a person should shift and to what rpm should the engine drop to in the next gear to get maximum acceleration. He replied, "Shift when you hit maximum horsepower and the transmission should be geared so you will drop to maximum torque in the next gear. All you are doing if you rev beyond maximum horsepower is burning more fuel than you need to and making noise."

Later,
Jerry C

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back