Laminar Lip

HeR3tic

Living Legend
Quite the dissappointment:( Nowhere the improvement I'd expected on my Roadster windscreen. Should you be inclined they do have a smoke tinted model, according to the included part number listing, which would have been favorable instead of the clear unit sitting atop my slightly darker tinted clear wind screen. They suggest positioning the lamelip 1-2 inches above the upper edge of the wind screen. Can't happen. You'd be lucky to get 3/4" / 19mm. Which may be the actual alteration in the helmet strike zone (hsz). The HSZ does seem to remain constant at various legal speeds. The pillion rider may perceive an improvement. She'll have to speak up for herself after the next ride.

Wind flow was not directed appreciably higher than without it. And those lame stickers affixed to the front side simulating a sort of chromed covering over the 3M fixing mechanisms. The specific nomenclature escapes me right now. Perhaps, if those stickers hadn't been advertising LaminarLip.com I'd have left them on:eek: And it was billboard 30+ font size :rolleyes: . I believe I'd remember the manufacturer were anyone to ask.

Maybe I need a Mydol.

Last edited:
I hear what your saying, 3tic. It seems I have to try two or three different things before I find something I like or works the way its supposed to. I have a lot of failed experiments up on the shelf in the garage. I bought a ton of accessories when I first bought my Rocket but it is radically different now, most of those original goodies have been replaced. It gets to be expensive.

At least I got to trade my tank bra with Dirtbikedennis for the rubber pad. I foresaw that tank pad slowly buffing all the paint off the tank as it wiggled to and fro with road grime under it.

The rubber block, while somewhat gosh, adresses the need to keep your belt buckle from scratching the tank. Which happens when you have a little overhang in the frontal area.:D

It has been a little while, and the lame_lips will be staying. First, because my honey says it has decreased the wind turbulence for her. Secondly, while the HSZ hasn't been raised much it seems that the max flow may be even higher than my earlier assessment. I suffer significanly less teeth chatter. And there has been a huge decrease in face shield and signifcantly less overall helmet bug splatter.

I'm Under Whelmed

I too got the univeral 21.5 inch LIP and also the 15 inch side mounts.

The air now seems to be going entirely over my helmet rather than hitting several inches from the top. I'm using the 3M (velcro like) attachments and they seem to work up to around 90 mph.

What I don't like is the grey rubber spacer in the middle of the LIP to hold it a certain distance from your windshield. Right in the line of sight. Then I realized where the two pieces of plastic over lap, there's optical differences ( like you're looking through a magnifying glass) and it makes it hard to see clearly. By the way, I've got clear windshield and LIP.

I also noticed at certain speeds or with wind gusts that I hear a whistling noise. Not too bothersome but made me think for a minute my bike was possessed! ( Flip, if you haven't made comments about this post by now........here's your chance)

Anyway, I'll give it a few more tries and see what happens. I'll try the side mounts this weekend.

I also noticed at certain speeds or with wind gusts that I hear a whistling noise. Not too bothersome but made me think for a minute my bike was possessed! ( Flip, if you haven't made comments about this post by now........here's your chance)

Anyway, I'll give it a few more tries and see what happens. I'll try the side mounts this weekend.

Pianoman:

My only comment is that there is another instructor at the college who has a Beemer with a 'lip' and I didn't really like the way it looked on his Beemer and the Beemer is stodgy compared to the R3. So, basically no comment. Not for me. I wear a Bell Magnum helmet, open face and my visor has a 1.5" clear plexi screen attached to it so between the windscreen and the 'lip' on my helmet, I have no wind problems whatsoever.

PM: I too hear the whistle, periodically. What exactly the cross-wind component combination necessary to produce it I don't know. The same speed on numerous occasions may or may not produce the howl. I didn't install the cubicle rubbers you inserted. Apparently they make little difference.

I lost my LameLip on the Interstate yesterday....the ambient heat was absolutely unbearable. The heat and wind flow snatched it off and it was gone in a millisecond. You say, "...up to about 90...", well it was at 90+ that it let loose.

Oh, but they will include some sore of nylon retainers with the replacement, at 50% of original cost. KMA LameLips!!

Last edited:
Back