DrSober

Standard Bore
Ride
R3 tourer 2013
Hi R3 owners. I have just purchased my first ever non-Japanese bike - a 2013 R3 Tourer with 15, 600kms on the clock. I traded in my Honda CTX1300. The bike I have purchased rides well, handles easily, has plenty of power and is well appointed. The one issue I have is rust pitting on some of the chrome. The dealer reckons it has come from a coastal area, hence the pitting. It is a cosmetic issue that I want to fix as much as I can. Any tips on how to manage this issue and prevent further pitting going forward? I live in dry high country away from the coast so I hope this is one protective factor.
Anyway, nice to be part of the forum.
Cheers,
DrS

Tripps

Retired superhero
Ride
R3T,Sprintona,K1200GT, Blackbird,r/65 hack
Welcome to the forum. I live near Buffalo NY and used to, at least, ride 12 months a year. I feel Triumph's chrome is exceptionally weak, within a year or so from new, my chrome looked worse than it did on my 16 year old Harley. That said, keeping it waxed should help a lot, I'm really not a washer or waxer myself, to be honest.

MIG

Road Therapy...
Drifting between Las Vegas, NV and Tucson, AZ...
Ride
"Fiona" my '14 R3T & "Delilah" my '16 V-Rod Muscle
WELCOME! from Miami Florida. Depending on the level of rust, a good chrome cleaner will remove some surface rust. Now that she's in a drier climate, giving her a good deep cleaning and polishing will go a long way. Enjoy your new Perma-Grin :thumbsup: :cool:
-MIG

Last edited:

CCjon

All who wander... seeking fresh cup of coffee
Ride
2011 R3 sidecamper, GSA/EZS rig
Bienvenidos de Tejas. You say you are in a high and dry country but the Flag is the Panamanian...? Are you near David? or higher...
As mentioned, a good chrome/rust remover polish should remove and protect any rust pitting.