I tried a roadster this weekend...man that thing really is a beast!?! And you're right, the Bonnie feels like there's something wrong with it now! I got a short ride, and was too intimidated (though the bike handles much much better than I thought it would) to really try and push it. The R3 is looking more likely, since the wifey's eyeing the Street3.

Holy frak...you moved from Torrance to NJ!?! That must've been quite a move! I can't imagine leaving SoCal...gotta have the beach close to me. How's the riding season there compared to the year round season we're fortunate enough to have here?

From one who used to manage a retail store at the Del Amo Fashion Square Mall, take it from me, the same douche bags pollute both sites. Of course, they will most likely chime in here right quick in order to slander or libel the messenger...:D

Well I'm from NJ to start with, mp, and even though I always attribute my moving back East to temporary insanity, I rarely regret the decision. Please take no offense, but when the big earthquake comes, it will provide a boon to the rest of the country by claiming southern CA as the new Atlantis (from Santa Barbara south!);) I would consider moving back to northern Cali, if and when the state gets its act together fiscally... what a beautiful slice of Americana.

As for the comparitive riding experience, well you do have us with regard to the extent of the season due to the climatic differences, but IMO, we have it all over southern Cali for scenery, diversity of roadways, accessibility and ease of use of our roads (they are inordinately less crowded), food, historical and cultural points of interest, etc.. that's not to say that riding here is better, riding is riding, but on a subjective level, I enjoy riding here much more than I ever enjoyed riding out there, except in the north country.

Beaches... well surely you've heard of the Jersey shore!?:D I was raised in a family fortunate enough to have a beach house for 42 years in Harvey Cedars on Long Beach Island, a formerly pristine 17 mile long barrier island between Asbury Park and Atlantic City. That was a real privalege! In addition to living on Juanita and Beryl Streets in Redondo, I also had a place for awhile right on the Strand in Hermosa. Better girl watching out there, for sure, but better, though smaller, beaches, nicer swimming and less sharks out here. Too many Great Whites in the trenches off PV, but a magnificent spot (Malaga Cove for instance) to enjoy the "submarine races' right around sunset.:p:cool:

Yeah...I tend to ignore the coming of the big one!

I've limited experience of the East Coast, but the things you mentioned do indeed make for an interesting riding experience, not the least of which is the lack of traffic. Wifey grew up in Long Island; though she can't imagine moving back- loves the weather here.

Can't believe you got live on the Strand...I am envious:). Used to live on Manhattan and sixth, but moved after having a kid. Once he's a bit older, we'll move back to Hermosa. Oh, and I grew up in PV. PV Blvd is a nice ride, as you probably already know. I'm surprised at how little action it sees from bikers.

Well, PV is probably lucky for the exclusion, though more than likely the various police departments there have made it an inhospitable environment for two-wheeled goons unlike the more respectable motorcyclists like me and, assumedly, yourself and other "normal" devotees.

Ever been to Horseshoe Cove or the other cove I mentioned on PV? If you continue along the coast from there on mostly suburban roads, keep bearing right and you'll come to San Pedro... right where they filmed Nicholson and Faye Dunaway in John Huston's epic flick, "Chinatown". A funky and sublime locale all rolled in to one! Chinatown film location - YouTube

L.I. is a geographical/transportation system defined prison, although I did meet the wifey out in The Hamptons, the silk purse of that particular sow's ear!:D the do have a lot of Great Whites (the fish - not people) out there!;)

Did you grow up in PV, RPV, RH, RHE... ? Either way, you were very fortunate to grow up on that magnificent peninsula!:cool: i had some good friends from there back in the day.

Not to make you feel even more jealous about my beachside pad in the SBA, I was there in the early to mid 70s, during the peak of the Sexual Revolution and when Manhattan Beach was mostly airline stews and pilots, Hermosa was predominantly hippies and other young fun-lovers , while Redondo and on up the hill was progressively more expensive and exclusively suburban, family living. Man, were those the days!!!

I haven't heard of Horseshoe Cove. I've hiked down to Abalone plenty of times, as well as that hidden spot/built cave further north. I ride down to Pedro often, and that über twisty road, Crest. I grew up in RPV.

Dood, I am totally envious! Hermosa's still a hidden gem, but no where close to what I've heard it was in the 70s.

Wifey, baby, and I ride bicycles along the beach from Torrance to El Segundo and back every Sunday. The trip's at the three year old's outer limit what he'll handle. The scenery just keeps getting better.

Back