Headlight Discussions

zenbiker

Zenbiker
Ride
2021 R3 GT
Our stock halogen headlights are marginal at best. HID lights are unfocused and worse than the stock setup IMHO. The HIDs are like a light bulb, bright and meaningless because there is no focus..
If you want REAL brilliant illumination, it will cost you. I just installed two 5 3/4" Harley LED headlights on my Rocket. Amazing brilliance and the illumination is far beyond what I expected.
They also look cool as hell BUT..hold onto your hats, $702.00 for the pair. They are a direct plug and play and fit into our headlight buckets without modification.
Just take out the stock headilghts, remove the bulbs from the "parking lights" and install the 5 3/4" Harley units.
Easy, fast and EXPENSIVE as hell. There is a tiny Harley logo (which no one will see ) in each unit.
Fabulous lighting...
Just money!!....but for me, well spent!

Last edited by a moderator:
I just found out that I have a broken lens on my R3. So I'm thinking about upgrading to better lighting, any thoughts on the Daymakers VS the JW Spekers LED lights? I am not concerned with the cost, just looking for something the is better than the stock candles. I have HID fog lights to complement a new pair of head lights.

What is the Daymaker part numbers you used? I see that have black and chrome but there are also old versions and new versions.

I just found out that I have a broken lens on my R3. So I'm thinking about upgrading to better lighting, any thoughts on the Daymakers VS the JW Spekers LED lights? I am not concerned with the cost, just looking for something the is better than the stock candles. I have HID fog lights to complement a new pair of head lights.

What is the Daymaker part numbers you used? I see that have black and chrome but there are also old versions and new versions.

I don't know anything about the Speakers or those from ADV Monster, personally, but I do know the Daymakers are a very simple plug and play deal and I have the Eastern Beaver relays as well.. They fit perfectly into the headlight shells and the three pronged plug snaps right in and you are done. Just leave the lead for the running lights dangling in the headlight shells. It is plastic covered and no need to worry about them. These lights are very well made and solid.
I don't remember the PN because it was about a year ago that I installed them. The Harley website will tell you. I may have the older version in black but they are just excellent! I certainly have no interest in changing to any newer version if I have the older.
I never flinched about getting them although very expensive because I trusted that Harley items would be good quality. This is more light than I could have hoped for.
I have one on my Big Dog and gave a set to both of my sons for their Harleys. They both LOVE them! Look mean in the daylight and perform amazingly at night.
If cost is not a problem...I would go with the tried and true Harley brand. They must be on a million bikes by now and I'm sure Harley will back them up for any failures.
Now, my 2014 Indian will have to be addressed!

Ok...The "Blacked out" and silver versions look the same in the dark but the blacked out version looks very cool on the bike in daylight. These pics are not good quality (taken with my phone without perspective or stabilization).
You can see the individual LEDs projecting their beams!
If I had taken this pic head on, the light would have obliterated the pic. The interesting thing is that when you turn on the high beams, the low beams do not move their pattern at all but just two or three more beams are added at a higher focus point. I love them.

https://imageshack.com/i/nh8nwpj

https://imageshack.com/i/n7a5pqj

zenbiker, I have just picked two daymakers for my Roadster, cost plenty so I am hoping I get a much better distance lighting for the money.
i could not handle the stock lights, it seemed impossible to get the low and high beam adjustment right. Hope the daymakers do the job.

Adjust the lights for the high beam first and the low beam will be right on. If you do the low beam first, the high beam may be blinding to oncoming traffic. Remember that with these lights, the low beam is ALWAYS on and the high beam is added while the low beam stays the same.
I know what you mean about the stock lamps...they are lame to say the least. You won't be sorry for installing the Daymakers.

Moto...I thought the high beams were far better than stock, particularly the brightness! I found the highway signs to be lit up much more and farther away. I can't explain the difference in our experience. Did you actually ride the bike at night or just driveway stuff?
Strange. :sad:

Motolink, is your Roadster new enough to have come with headlight relays? Perhaps Zenbiker is running relays and you're not??

a lot is to do with the glass and reflector design i if i was doing a lot of night riding i would retrofit with CIBIE units also a decent set of spectacles would the first priority

Back