Has anyone changed an O2 sensor?

EskimoPie

Supercharged
Ride
2021 Rocket 3 GT
Has anybody changed an O2 sensor on this bike? Installing the Werkes exhaust this weekend the O2 had apparently been installed in the stock exhaust without any anti-sieze. It galled and then sheared. Unfortunately they're back ordered nation wide but I found a used one on ebay (tiger 900 shares the part number). I found the connector under the right side "tool kit" cover but I can't see how to get the connector routed out or more importantly a new one routed in. Anybody done this? There must be a trick and I can't seem to find any specific instructions in the service manual either.

But man oh man, does the bike sound WICKED with no exhaust!!! Don't worry, just started it for a couple seconds to hear it. The Werkes without silencers are basically straight through so I can't wait to hear and feel the difference! Unfortunately I'm down for a few days until the replacement sensor arrives.

Whats the risk of riding without an O2 sensor? It'll just run open loop which is just richer right?

Don't know beans about yours
When i have a tough one i get it lose i put a wire/string on one end take it out and wire the new one then pull it back threw with the wire/string
Hth

Update on my situation: I traded a couple of IMs with tuner extraordinaire Penner and he said there's no need to replace the O2 sensor. He told me to add 6% to each of the L1-L3 tables (they control low throttle fueling), unplug the O2 sensor connector, and uncheck the O2 device in TuneECU and it'll run like a top. I followed his instructions and as usual, he was spot-on! No more Check Engine Light, and it definitely idles smoother and has less popping on decel. It was a bit of a learning curve to edit the maps, and to find the darn O2 sensor checkbox, but the ECU re-flash went smoothly and the bike is running great.

The used O2 sensor I found on ebay showed up yesterday but I doubt I'll even install it at this point.

Update on my situation: I traded a couple of IMs with tuner extraordinaire Penner and he said there's no need to replace the O2 sensor. He told me to add 6% to each of the L1-L3 tables (they control low throttle fueling), unplug the O2 sensor connector, and uncheck the O2 device in TuneECU and it'll run like a top. I followed his instructions and as usual, he was spot-on! No more Check Engine Light, and it definitely idles smoother and has less popping on decel. It was a bit of a learning curve to edit the maps, and to find the darn O2 sensor checkbox, but the ECU re-flash went smoothly and the bike is running great.

The used O2 sensor I found on ebay showed up yesterday but I doubt I'll even install it at this point.
hey mate, would love to get some details of this Tune ECU guru. Trying a new slip on pipe and want to sort out the tune ECU issue also.
Thanks

Has anybody changed an O2 sensor on this bike? Installing the Werkes exhaust this weekend the O2 had apparently been installed in the stock exhaust without any anti-sieze. It galled and then sheared. Unfortunately they're back ordered nation wide but I found a used one on ebay (tiger 900 shares the part number). I found the connector under the right side "tool kit" cover but I can't see how to get the connector routed out or more importantly a new one routed in. Anybody done this? There must be a trick and I can't seem to find any specific instructions in the service manual either.

But man oh man, does the bike sound WICKED with no exhaust!!! Don't worry, just started it for a couple seconds to hear it. The Werkes without silencers are basically straight through so I can't wait to hear and feel the difference! Unfortunately I'm down for a few days until the replacement sensor arrives.

Whats the risk of riding without an O2 sensor? It'll just run open loop which is just richer right?
It will throw error codes which you could turn off with Tuneecu.

Most cars that have the o2 sensor removed will go into open loop and the ecu will set a default setting of 0.45 which is on the rich side

Is the L-tables not for air instead of fueling? Hopefully the bike is not popping but rather burble? Popping is not good!

Back