Greetings to All from Hungary!

Greetings!

Any relation to either of these vintage smokeshows?

zsa_zsa_gaborjpg.jpg

Eva-Gabor-Feet-2788321.jpg

i worked at Aamco transmissions when they had the commercials tell them Zsa Zsa sends me :)
i would tell them she sends me too.

If you decide to visit Hungary and you have some free sdpace in the schedule I will invite you for a beer - let me know. BTW: do you still have your solo rack? Would you send it to Hungary? Or just bring it when you come? :)

I won't have a schedule when I visit but will rather be like a wandering Magyar out to explore the country so a time out to visit will be easy. I still have the rack and one of our Austrian riders asked if I'd ship it. Shipping is easy but transfer of funds internationally to me is the difficult part. It's just sitting on my work bench looking shiny.

Szia Gabor, welcome from Slovakia!

This keeps getting more interesting as some of our eastern European brother riders check in, well along with our Russians and Ukrainians. I plan to also visit eastern Slovakia which is where my grandmother migrated to from Mukachevo, Ukraine where she was born. How she ever met my Hungarian grandfather is unknown and we are still trying to figure it out.

So do the Carpathian mountains extend into eastern Slovakia? I'm looking at maps on line and they are a bit confusing. The reason I ask is one of the clues we have about grandmother is that she was described as Carpatho-Russian by my mother but the fluid borders and movement of peoples in what was then the Austro-Hungarian empire makes lineage confusing. It was probably more correct to say Ruthenian or Rusyn but that is even suspect. Our mother spoke a Russian compliant language and also what she referred to as Slovak and plus a slightly different language, but apparently similar to Slovak, Czech. She also spoke Hungarian and as we discovered, Polish, the day before she passed away.

Visiting eastern Europe would hopefully help sort some of this out since we've just discovered the passing of grandmother's cousins who still lived there. And of course this means that I have relatives in eastern Europe.

I am myself Ruthenian, born in Humenne (East Slovakia). It is wonderful part of the world, remote (to European standards). Just shoot me an message once you decide to visit here, will guide to all good places. The whole region is borderless exc. Ukraine, all you need is time and little money.

Karpatian mountain massive starts in western Slovakia and goes through Slovakia (75% of SK is mountains), South-east of Poland, Western Ukraine, Romania, and down to Balkan. Ruthenians are one of Karpatian hillbillies. Sheeps, moonshine, lard with bacon, throwing knives and axes, you name it. Very stubborn people and one of the oldest slavic ethnics. Never had own state/kingdom, not even reasonable ambition for it, difficult to unite on anything :D. Very specific sentiment for art. Andy Warhol was R. and in his early drawings it was VERY visible. Majority of Ruthenian ethnic is now gone, culturally assimilated with major nations in countries where they live. I am 45 and I am fluent in ruthenian, but 98% of ruthenians in my age do not identify themselves as ruthenians since thir childhood, no interest.

This documentary was shot about 35miles from the town I was born:

This part of Europe - Poland, Slovakia, Ukraine, Hungary, Romania - it is really beautiful. hundreds of interesting places on relatively small territory, very diverse also. And great place to ride the bike.

Gabor - sorry for kidnapping your introduction thread :)

Welcome Gabor from Chesterfield UK, would like to see some photographs of your ride?
I am myself Ruthenian, born in Humenne (East Slovakia). It is wonderful part of the world, remote (to European standards). Just shoot me an message once you decide to visit here, will guide to all good places. The whole region is borderless exc. Ukraine, all you need is time and little money.

Karpatian mountain massive starts in western Slovakia and goes through Slovakia (75% of SK is mountains), South-east of Poland, Western Ukraine, Romania, and down to Balkan. Ruthenians are one of Karpatian hillbillies. Sheeps, moonshine, lard with bacon, throwing knives and axes, you name it. Very stubborn people and one of the oldest slavic ethnics. Never had own state/kingdom, not even reasonable ambition for it, difficult to unite on anything :D. Very specific sentiment for art. Andy Warhol was R. and in his early drawings it was VERY visible. Majority of Ruthenian ethnic is now gone, culturally assimilated with major nations in countries where they live. I am 45 and I am fluent in ruthenian, but 98% of ruthenians in my age do not identify themselves as ruthenians since thir childhood, no interest.

This part of Europe - Poland, Slovakia, Ukraine, Hungary, Romania - it is really beautiful. hundreds of interesting places on relatively small territory, very diverse also. And great place to ride the bike.

no problem at all, I am happy that my introduction created these waves!
I already visualize an Internacional rocket meeting in Budapest!

Attachments

• FAD1888F-120A-452E-AA1C-910B65BEA2EC.jpeg
    FAD1888F-120A-452E-AA1C-910B65BEA2EC.jpeg
    472.4 KB · Views: 2
  • AE3B05E2-B0F8-45E9-94F5-138EF6D4181B.jpeg
    AE3B05E2-B0F8-45E9-94F5-138EF6D4181B.jpeg
    452.3 KB · Views: 1
  • 62395B84-9C78-4944-8332-85CAC4953896.jpeg
    62395B84-9C78-4944-8332-85CAC4953896.jpeg
    477.9 KB · Views: 1

Thank you for the very interesting info. Much of my family originates from Hungary.

Back