kingmerle

child of the king
Ride
08 R3T
Does Gore-Tex break down over time. My boots that have never failed me. Let me down this weekend. Rode 6 hours in steady rain and both were soaked through. I never had this problem before. Love my boots and don't want to replace them. they are so comphy. Do the rain overboots work in that kind of rain situation. And does a snap back or zippered closure work better. Im looking for easy of putting them old. Im getting old and fat and everything is harder these days

Can you use camp dry or some other type of water proofing product on Gore-Tex? My riding and work boots are leather and I treat them 1-2 times a year and my tootsies are always dry.

FWIW... I'm old too, kind'a (67 yrs.). I've lost +,-20 lbs in the past few months by cutting way down/out the carbs and sugar. Bonus, I can see my pee pee again :)

Can you use camp dry or some other type of water proofing product on Gore-Tex? My riding and work boots are leather and I treat them 1-2 times a year and my tootsies are always dry.

FWIW... I'm old too, kind'a (67 yrs.). I've lost +,-20 lbs in the past few months by cutting way down/out the carbs and sugar. Bonus, I can see my pee pee again :)

Recently my old bike boots Gaerne's started to leak in bad weather. I got out my leather treatment (some beeswax product) and treated them with it. From this point on I found my feet were always damp even on dry days, it got horrible. It occurred to me that the waterproofing is breathable and works like a membrane (skin) adding the leather waterproofing sealed this up. I went and got a new pair of boots. On reading the manual it does say only clean with warm water and detergent. Detergent has surfactants that lift and move dirt.

Same with textile bike gear if it starts leaking dry warm water and detergent wash to unclog the membrane pores that have been filled with road grime you will be amazed. Be warned do not use soap based products it will make the problem worse.

I have found the goretex does break down over time but my boots were pretty old.

Goretex is great in jackets and lasts for ages but doesn't last in footwear imo, it always fails at the crease points where your foot bends.and works the material hard.

I've come to treat my motorcycle boots much like my hillwalking boots, a good layer of dubbing every now and then keep a my tootsies dry. Get that stuff worked right into the you with the sole and all seams. Usually help it in with a hair drier ;)

In the rain and cold, I use Muck Boots. Very warm and waterproof. But, you need to carry another pair of boots to walk in. I always bring extra socks, for they will make your feet sweat. Great at 20 degrees for three hours (with boot heaters and my Gerbing heated Gore-tex suit). Yeah, I'm spoiled, spent a lot of money on it.........But, I'm almost 60 and if I knew how great it was, I would have started saving at 12. The Gore-Tex in the Gerbing is waterproof

Back