Drive Shaft Splines

Captain Bob

Supercharged
I put new rubber on my 08 R3T and when I took the back wheel off, I noticed the drive gear was lubed with wheel bearing grease. I found out that my dealer did this when replacing the tires due to a recall (prior to the bike being sold). I then removed the final drive unit and found the splines on the drive shaft were dryer then a bone. The splines were never greased at all.

I cleaned off the wheel bearing grease and lubed both the final drive and drive shaft splines with molybdnem(sp?) grease. Hard to believe Triumph does not lube those parts. Even the service manual says to lube them. Anyway, thought I would let you guys know that if you haven't already lubed those parts on your bikes, they are probably bone dry.

Did the splines have a dry, brown powder on them?

If so, that's the moly which is actually a dry lubricant. It is sold commercially with a gel type carrier. If the dry, brown powder was present, you shouldn't have anything to worry about but re-lubing is always a good thing when you can.

Did the splines have a dry, brown powder on them?

If so, that's the moly which is actually a dry lubricant. It is sold commercially with a gel type carrier. If the dry, brown powder was present, you shouldn't have anything to worry about but re-lubing is always a good thing when you can.

There was what appeared to be, a "rust" red powdery dust like it was from rusty metal parts engaging. The entire drive shaft had a light coat of rust on it. It did not seem to have any properties of lube at all. The dust did seem to be coming from engagement of the splines.

The dealer said all Rockets are coming through dry. But then again, what does he know, he put wheel bearing grease on the rear wheel drive gear.

85k miles on my bike and I have never removed the drive shaft to look at the splines. I can't find in the shop manual where it says this should be done. I do grease the final drive splines though whenever I change the tire.

Thanks XHDSkip, I already had some moly here at home and used it, but I will check out that lube at my local Honda shop.

Ugarte, I am looking at my R3T service manual. Look at the assembly portion of final drive. The statement advisingf you to grease the gears/splines is in there. :)

There was what appeared to be, a "rust" red powdery dust like it was from rusty metal parts engaging. The entire drive shaft had a light coat of rust on it. It did not seem to have any properties of lube at all. The dust did seem to be coming from engagement of the splines.

The dealer said all Rockets are coming through dry. But then again, what does he know, he put wheel bearing grease on the rear wheel drive gear.

I promise you that it was not rust. It is the normal state of moly. The "lube" that most think provides the lubrication is only a suspension carrier for the moly. It can be a gel or a paste but the lubrication properties are from the moly.

Thanks XHDSkip, I already had some moly here at home and used it, but I will check out that lube at my local Honda shop.

Ugarte, I am looking at my R3T service manual. Look at the assembly portion of final drive. The statement advisingf you to grease the gears/splines is in there. :)

Yes, if you remove the final drive, but there is nothing in the manual stating that the final drive needs to be removed and checked as part of maintenance. However, since all you have to do is remove four bolts it doesn't look like any big deal to go ahead and do it at each rear tire change anyway. I will do that on my next changeout.

Back